Monday 28 January 2019

The bucks stop here

After a morning blizzard...

Our frequent visitor, this week, seems to be Jake. I don't know if it is, or not, but we'll go with that. The dang things refuse to wear name tags!
I saw them hanging out back, and hubby went outside to put out some feed. They watched for him, eyes glued...





This was in the morning, before the sun cleared up. These two play fight a lot. I think it is Jake, and a younger buck. Rutting season was in November/December, and now the females will be taking care of little buns in the oven until May-ish.




P.S. I heard from Daisy's new mom. She is going to call her Daisy May. This is sweet. Daisy knows her name, I'm glad she didn't totally change it.
She didn't eat anything the first two days, and hid in her new room, but emerged yesterday and got up on the window sill. She's going to be an indoor cat, now. I'm sure she will adapt.

Daisy and I wetland; tree climbing from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This was our last play. She prays, as always.
Daisy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

17 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

hari Om
That's lovely to get feedback on Daisy May (which I think is a fine add-on name!) Today a 'wild snow weather warning' was issued for tomorrow. It seems we may be facing falls of upto..... wait for it.... two centimetres. I am certain it will cause traffic chaos... YAM xx

Karen said...

We didn't get significant snowfall yesterday but did it ever whip around. Our tractor broke down and is stuck across the lane. What a nightmare.
Us E.Ontario folks "might" get a good dump tonight.....depends which weather report you read or listen to. All I know is it's cold...
I'm glad Daisy came out to survey her new surrounds. It's the first step.

Anvilcloud said...

Fun title, but I'm supposed to be the word play guy around here. lol

Nancy J said...

I like Daisy May, and she will be a lot happier with no challenges to keep her place. Lots of snow, a heat wave down here and drought in some places.

Gaelyn said...

Nice deer show. Video of Daisy (Mae) is awesome.

Jeanna said...

Wow, what a tree climber! How do you get her down? I've only had an indoor cat who wanted no part of outside except on the indoor side of the screen.
Magnificent buck photos, and watching them play like that, incredible.
I love your balcony and looks like the perfect cat walk.

Christine said...

Daisy May is a pretty name!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That video of the play fight is amazing! All the deer are lucky to have found your “wildlife sanctuary”...thank you for sharing them with us. They make me happy. I’m off to backtrack to find out about Daisy’s journey.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

hey there!! hope u r enjoying your 2019!! trying to figure out this silly weather we are having ... so cold then warmer ... never any snow .. it is so confusing for the mind and body (sinuses) can not keep up. keeps life interesting, never sure what to wear??! ... to say the least. look forward to warmer and more springy weather??! ...kayaking weather as well. take care. thanks for your visit! ( ;

Little Wandering Wren said...

Daisy climbing the tree is adorable, I can't imagine life with Pets in the snow. Mind you our crazy poodle has virtually become an indoor dog it is too hot here to let him out! Jake the Buck is an impressive animal too!
Have a lovely week.
Wren x

Angie said...

Jenn - it's hard to let go of a furbaby, but it sounds like a win-win for everyone. Nice buck in your yard!

Authors with Advice said...

Aww...I liked your title. And your photos brought me some comfort as we are going through heatwaves!

Jenn Jilks said...

Daisy May knows how to come down a tree like a firefighter!
Besides, in her new home, she's an indoor cat.

William Kendall said...

I hope things go smoothly for Daisy.

I wonder if part of the play fighting for the bucks is to work those antlers into falling off.

Kathy G said...

I think your snowfall looks lovely--in YOUR neck of the woods :-) Thankfully, all we got today was a small dusting.

Anvilcloud said...

WRT your comment about my patience. I actually find this work tedious, and I should put more into it than I do.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope Daisy thrives in her new home:)