Thursday 31 January 2019

Snowshoes!!!

Wed. morning, Jan. 30th, I popped out to grab the rain gauge from the deck, to check the snowfall. The little tracks in the snow were so cute. Poor critters out there in the cold. The polar vortex extends down into the USA.


In the dark of the morning, I could see tracks. I examined them in the light of day, and I'm not sure. Something in the rodent family, with something running sniffing its path. It wasn't Hooper, he hadn't been out overnight.



It's a goodly distance for a small track. Perhaps our weasel.

This is from December.


Red squirrels are everywhere. Here, near the water barrel, leading to an actual hole in the snow. The snow has a base of about 30 cm.


This tree is still splitting. It will fall into the wetland, it won't harm anyone. It creaks in the winds.


It's so dark, but looking for tracks is motivation! Once you get going, you warm up.


This is our island in the middle of the wetland. It's a busy crossing, a path all the critters use. You can see the fox scat, and then the turkey tracks.


A deer bed, they nestle in the snow.


This was in the middle of the frozen frog pond.


My trusty snowshoes.


I'm thinking these are turkeys, strutting their stuff, dragging their wings, as they do.


The purpose of the trek was exercise, as well as fetching the trailcam SD cards. This guy I filmed out the kitchen window. He's shed his antlers. I was hoping to find some. It's good exercise.



Jake is still carrying his.
Trailcam Jake from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you to get out and about like that. Snowshoeing can be joyful.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, AC! I really didn't feel like it, but I pushed myself. It's cold and hard slogging, but I felt better afterwards.

Karen said...

Exciting to be out and about isn't it!!! The winds have died down so I'm going to bundle up and attempt to go out in public today.

Nancy J said...

I remember a blog friend who was at Scott Base for a year saying " There is always COLD then there is REALLY cold".Guess you just have to bundle up, stay off the roads, and keep the furnace going. I see in Aurora. Illinois, it is -33!!!

William Kendall said...

It's fascinating to watch how weasels move like that.

Christine said...

amazing how they all survive this cold outside!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have lots of wild life action! Stay warm!