Monday 14 January 2019

Wetland walkies

It's deer shed time. I looked out the kitchen window and saw four males Saturday, Jan. 12th, and two of the four had shed one antler.


Sunday, I figured I'd go for a walk, having been prompted by several people, all men! Justin, my social media friend, has dozens of antlers he has picked up. I don't really need another one, but he goaded me! Hubby offered to do a walkabout, but it is still icy in spots, so I wore my red boots with the cleats.
I bundled up, as it has been chilly. Once you get walking, deep in the wetland, it is warmer. There is no wind. Here we are today:

 I made it out to the wetland island, and as I stepped, I noticed a small pocket of water. (You can see in the video below.) It reminds me to be careful. I know we've lost people out west to avalanches, and several vehicles have gone in the water. I know the wetland ice. It's tough and thick in the middle. This picture was taken on the island, looking out across the wetland.


To find a deer shed is usually simpler. They save energy by using the same track. Since we had a major freeze–thaw, walking is easy on the wetland. It's nice, flat ice. This means they have many more routes than is usual in deep snow. I just wandered. All tracks lead home.


I love reading the tracks. You can see where the deer slipped.

I was at a crossroads! The deer were headed NE, the turkeys crossed their paths SE.


The rope is the one I use beside the bridge I built to the island. It's frozen into the ice, and hidden.


I found a spot where a deer had a massive pee! The next photo, deer beds! Nearly back at the house, having given up, it's interesting to see them.




As I walked along the path, I spotted our feathered friends, 6 hens –whose party I disturbed.
Wild turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is the middle of the wetland. I did a 360˚ view. As I said on the video, it was so peaceful and quiet.
Wetland in winter from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yes, it's cold... but there is a restorative feeling to the quiet which comes with this kind of weather I always think. The earth slumbering before it has to spring up and work again! YAM xx

Out To Pasture said...

Your last video has the sound of very dry, squeaky snow underfoot. Sounds like the depths is a Canadian winter.

Nancy J said...

Lovely crunchy walking in that crisp snow.Do you have a whistle or bell, in case you slip? Maybe not needed as you know your own land so well, love all the photos and your words.

DUTA said...

The deer are a beautiful sight, and that makes it up for the chilliness, wetness and gloominess of the surrounding area.

Christine said...

you are out enjoying this time of year!

Christine said...

It's cold!

William Kendall said...

I wonder what turkeys and deer think of each other.

Red said...

You took me for a long walk and I was expecting to find an antler. I was disappointed ...no antler. I don't know why antlers are so hard to find.

Phil Slade said...

Our wild animals and birds are so hardy aren't they? We snuggle up inside our warm dens while they spend long, dark and very cold nights out in the open. Take care in the ice Jenn.

Anvilcloud said...

Although I don't want to leave the house to walk very much these days, I do know that walking in the woods on a cold winter day can be quite lovely.