Monday 21 January 2019

A big snow storm!

It's pretty cold. Rural folks, with animals, have a tough time. Hoses don't work for water troughs. I read on Facebook:
I got ALL your wind. Spent three and a half hours out in it, trying in vain to fill my troughs. Frozen hydrants, frozen hoses, then a hydrant that wouldn't shut off once I got it working, 250 feet of uncooperative hose once the nice collapsible hose froze in 75 places, all with 60 kph winds paralyzing my face. 
There are many school boards who cancelled busses. Our power was off around 5:30 a.m., at least, it came on back then!

Prior to the snowstorm, I encountered our wild turkeys on the hill.



Then, the turkeys and the bucks played together.



I didn't venture anywhere near the trailcams, but the day before...


We had 22 cm of snow.

The cardinal remains a bright spot!

Since someone else did the top half of the driveway, I did the bottom half. It was bitterly cold, with wind gusts.



stormy day from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Inside, the cats were staying warm. Daisy was in her crate.


Outside? There were 11 deer.


This is a fun video: the deer was digging for food. Then hubby putting out some more.
It's a lovely, rich mix, an Ministry Natural Resources recipe based on COB: corn, oats and barley, with molasses, and it smells rich and yummy. It's just something for their bellies, they do overwinter eating twigs.



Speaking of food...
My daughter and SIL took off to New York from Wednesday to Sunday. They lost their direct flight home, but ended up going from there to Toronto, and then Ottawa. More on that tomorrow!

13 comments:

Olga said...

I am quite happy to be glimpsing the storm in pictures from a safe distance.

Anvilcloud said...

There's something wrong with that hat. ;-)

Linda said...

It s frigid here, wind chills below -30 Celsius, buses cancelled, we are staying home for 4th day in a row, first from snowstorm and now windchill. Lots of crafting and reading and tea drinking. Stay warm.

Christine said...

The wildlife survive in the cold don't they, good of you to put food out.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You look so happy in all thatcold! Don’t your glasses fog up so that you can’t see? (Mine used to need windshield wipers when we lived in Oregon.). You do make the cold weather look enjoyable,.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I love how the deer want to run, but know full well hanging around will pay dividends!!! YAM xx

Jenn Jilks said...

My hat is quite warm! A gift from the cats. I've gotten grief from it, and don't wear it out in public...
My late father liked the Leafs. I don't like hockey!

Red said...

Keep safe. You had a very miserable storm.

Nancy J said...

keep that hat on, and yummy food, they knew before it was in the trough, and sang to everyone " Come on over, the meals on feet has arrived" or was it snow shoes? Keep safe and warm XXX

Angie said...

Jenn - with our recent snowfall, I have taken to using my snowshoes when out walking. I can see how deep the snow is for the deer when their hoofprints are three to four feet below the surface. Your deer look quite orange … are they really that color or is that a trick of the light? Hope temps go up for you!

Jenn Jilks said...

Angie, it's just a trick of the light!

Crafty Green Poet said...

That's a lot of snlw. Lovely to see the deer and the cardinal.

William Kendall said...

The turkeys can really move fast!