Tuesday 1 January 2019

Walkies – last one of 2018

Farewell
All this beautiful snow melted in our above zero temperatures and rain in.
The male cardinal is ubiquitous.

On our lot #3 I had two bucks.

Frozen wetland! It's not entirely frozen.


On the frogpond, I noticed the coyote was slipping. Hooper came by, and did some sliding, too.



We went to the island in the wetland. You can see the water is so high. There was a hole, with water seeping out. The turkeys had walked by, perhaps taking a drink.


Hooper sort of followed me. Here he is on the mainland. I called and looked. Suddenly he had skootched around the island, to the far side.


The bridge I'd constructed for the crossing. Just about flooded.


Hooper took the easy way back to the mainland.


Then he came back to climb the tree beside the bridge.



The wetland has an important role is recycling water. It drains, eventually, from the frogpond and the surrounding areas, and into the lake, again.


Frozen, the wetland renews the water, recycles it, and it's a major transportation route for critters, like mice!


Nearer the house, you can see where three deer bedded down during the snowfall.


Farewell, 2018. Welcome 2019! I hope the new year brings all you can wish for. I don't do resolutions. These are things we all know we could do.

The top New Year's Resolutions heading into 2019, according to English Tweets: 1️⃣ Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 2️⃣ Reading 📚 3️⃣ Learn something new 👩🏽‍🏫 4️⃣ Healthy eating / diet 🥗 5️⃣ Volunteering & charity 💛

I had to recharge the iPad, but here is my sketch!

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I noticed yesterday in your stroll through Riverside Park that the Mississippi is running pretty high.

Meanwhile, it is somewhat pretty outside with some freshly fallen snow although I expect there's an icy crust on top.

Here's to a wonderful trip around the sun in 2019.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm not sure if you are confusing my post with another?! Yesterday I posted photos of our frogpond, on our property, over December!

William Kendall said...

Happy New Year!

Nancy J said...

I so enjoy seeing the snow and the pond,as down here we sweltered yesterday in brilliant sunshine. XXX for the New Year, I don't do resolutions either, but my 2019 plan will be to have everything tidy and neat. Haha said Hugh!!!Maybe in 6 months that will be done.

Red said...

All the best in 2019.

Christine said...

Lovely sketch, Happy New Year! And winter has just begun...

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Our little wetland area has grown bigger in the two years we’ve been here. We are now walking through it thanks to cleats on our boots and read all the prints just like you do. Loved seeing your photos and a most wonderful 2019 to you!