Wednesday 30 January 2019

Who goes there?

Tuesday, Jan. 29th

Hooper had had a Classic morning, knocking things around, and off of shelves. ("Hooper, down!" Hooper, get down!") They are both more relaxed, with Daisy elsewhere.
Annabelle was taking it easy. 

Hubby did the driveway with the snowblower. He had Meals on Wheels to dispatch. Off he went.
☎️Still no phone, it's rather strange. I phoned Ma Bell from my client's house, we're out until Friday, by 10 p.m. (It was Thursday, but they delayed it another day.) It's been off since Tuesday, Jan. 22. After another storm!

The irony is, Bell is marketing their Let's Talk campaign. I'm sitting on hold, listening to their promotion, getting anxious, hoping they'd just get on to it. My anxiety levels are up, with rehoming Daisy. It's part of my issues. I went home and took some meds for it. #ironic

"Mental health affects us all. Let's work toward ending the stigma. #BellLetsTalk"

After I shoveled the walk, I ambled down to the forest. Can you see them in the tree, in the middle of the photo? They seemed a bit disgruntled.
I was headed to the tree, in the middle ground, far right. The trailcam sits there, and faces away from me, into the forest beside the wetland.


Here, look closer. Several wild turkeys.


I took a video, just for fun. They didn't seem too concerned about me. I wondered if the coyote was about?
turkeys 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Back up to the house, pretty tired from navigating a snow cover of 30 cm, I uploaded the photos from the trailcam at the end of the meadow. You'll note the time stamp, 25 minutes before I arrived, when I was at the house doing the snow. It was on the run, snow flying.



I wasn't done with turkeys. I came home from my client's house, and found them eating the cracked corn I'd put on the ice on the driveway for traction. Gone!


turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

11 comments:

Olga said...

The turkeys eating you attempt to provide traction made me laugh. No wonder they were not bothered by your presence earlier -- you're the lady who feeds them.

Karen said...

Do you find your walks in the great outdoors help with the anxiety Jennifer? I'm sure finding it helpful on my end.
I couldn't imagine having our phone out for that length of time. As it is, we have no cell service out here between two big hills. It's most annoying.
We haven't seen a turkey here in ages. The chickadees and nuthatches throw lots of seed onto the ground but only the one little red squirrel seems interested in it. We haven't seen any deer in my yard, but I've noticed lots of traffic back and forth across the road at the end of the lane. I'm sure they are sheltering in the alder bush across the front field.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
We've been getting scenes of the polar vortex as it has hit you and the upper States... and it is being used as an 'ooh ahh look at this we are getting an inch of snow and some ice so prepare to have to work from home...' media beat-up. I hope you stay warm and fed and at least you have internet! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

Do you have to salt or grit your own driveway? The Polar Vortex is on our TV news this morning. huge problems and cold beyond what I can ever imagine. Stay safe and warm.

Red said...

You are certainly having some miserable weather. Keep warm and safe.

Zaa said...

I''m loving the photos..We just recently got an outdoor camera... but haven't captured anything as entertaining as you ...Nice photo too...Thanks

Christine said...

No phone service yet, wow. Jenn, stay calm.

Jenn Jilks said...

You're funny, Christine! Stay calm!
Jean, we could pay to have someone come and do our drive, but we don't. I'm not in favour of salt, besides it's a 100 m long drive!
Karen, you are right, walks really help. The peace and quiet, looking for critters, hearing the birds sing.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's so neat to have a trail cam to see what wildlife passes through! LOVE the turkeys...coyotes are interesting! We have both here in FL! Enjoy your week! Hugs!

Linda said...

Wow, you have a lot of wild turkeys! I have a trail cam and it's photographed a bear but no coyotes. It's just in my back yard though.

William Kendall said...

One is so used to seeing turkeys grazing on the ground that it's odd to see them up in branches.