Thursday 17 January 2019

Lunch out!

JB went off to visit a sick friend. I suggested he buy some Ensure and a casserole and take those over. Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie from the deli! He told some self-deprecating stories and cheered them up. 

It was a tough morning, as well as dealing with Daisy, and our leaking toilet. More on that when those issues are resolved. So, I suggested we go out to lunch. This is one of our favourite pubs. I had booked a haircut for 1 p.m., hubby hadn't had a proper breakfast in his mission of mercy.

When I arrived home, we took off back into town. There is a new menu, hubby had cauliflower with dip! I had a chicken pesto club, I saved half for today.

I noticed an ambulance outside on the street, they were ordering lunch to go. I excused myself from the table, talked to our server, and asked him to put their food on our bill. It wasn't exactly anonymous, as the server told them. A nice young man and woman, they came to the table and chatted.

They asked why, and I explained that I saw TV reports of all those wonderful men and women at the Ottawa OCTranspo bus crash: Horrific incident in Ottawa. It's difficult work, many people lost limbs, one man had two broken legs, some had to be cut out of the bus, and I wanted to pay it forward. 
This pair of paramedics were simply bringing someone home from hospital, but I've spent time in an ambulance, taking my dad to and from his final oncology appointment, where the doctor told him his cancer was terminal. Muskoka to Toronto, a couple of hundred kilometres. They took dad to hospital after he had both delirium and dementia. I've accompanied my friend, paraplegic from spinal stenosis, to a dental appointment from her long-term care home. They are amazing people. 


At home, watching tennis, I saw yet another ambulance skoot by, lights flashing, helping another soul. It just felt like the thing to do. Look at how many first responders were involved in the bus crash.

The Good Samaritan stories begin to pour out from Ottawa. A young woman, with Down Syndrome, was sitting in priority seating in the front of the bus. She had to walk past those ejected from the bus, as well as wounded. Another victim took her under her wing. This gave her something to do, they said in the news. A neighbour brought the family dinner. It has a city-wide impact, but the helpers are there to be found. 

'Just incredible': Community rallies around Ottawa bus crash survivor with Down syndrome

Today, I am off to provide respite care to my client, again. Deep breath –as I try figure out some funny stories. It is difficult being almost housebound. You have to stop doing the things you liked to do, or had to do, to maintain your family. You lose independence. You lose your friends. This will be a good story to tell her! We can put a positive spin on things. 

Have you ever paid it forward? I remember going through a toll and paying for the people behind. Also, a coffee. I bought a meal for a homeless man in a mall parking lot in Ottawa.

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That was a very nice thing for you to do. I don't know if I have ever exactly paid it forward, but one time In Smiths Falls, a kid asked me for a few $. I complied but told him that some day, he must do the same for a young kid who asked him for help. He said, oh you mean pay it forward.

Karen said...

Fifteen years ago I sat down on the sidewalk with a kid of about 14 or 15. He was begging on Queen Street about 11AM on a weekday morning. We chatted for some time, I suggested he go the hell home (home life was NOT his reason for being on the street he assured me). I gave him all of the change in my purse. I think he was really happy to have an adult just shut down the world and sit and LISTEN to him.

Nancy J said...

The bus accident, this will have many far reaching outcomes and sadness forso many families. Pay it forward, I do that with baking and sewing, maybe not with money.When ny Dad was ill, it was too far to travel often, and I was so t


Nancy J said...

The bus accident, this will have many far reaching outcomes and sadness forso many families. Pay it forward, I do that with baking and sewing, maybe not with money.When ny Dad was ill, it was too far to travel often, and I was so t


Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
a wonderful moment to show appreciation in tangible form - well taken! That cauli looks scrumdiddlyumptious! YAM xx

William Kendall said...

The crash has had quite an effect in the city.

DUTA said...

You've done a noble gesture for the paramedics. Kudos to you and to all those people who show kindness to first responders!

Kay said...

Yes, we've done some things. We did it with our kids too in order to teach them about compassion.

You were wonderful to pay it forward. What a horrific accident that was!

Red said...

I can imagine how frightened and confused the girl would have been. we sometimes dwell on the negative rather than the positive as you have today.

ClaudiaMorningstar said...

Oh yeas, I love good fast food, i know its not healthy but very tasty <3

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That looks like a pretty big meal you have on your plate - looks damn good too!