Sunday 20 January 2019

The toilet issue

Yes, you read it right. Not the toilet tissue!
More mess. Jan. 2nd, 2019 – I noticed our toilet had begun leaking, again. I phoned our local company.

They had installed the toilet in Aug., 2017. It took three tries to tighten it enough, but not too much.

When we returned from an 8-day trip out west (June 8th, 2018), there was water around the toilet.

 July 9, 2018
We had issues with it leaking. It was redone.

July 9

Sept. 15, 2018
Jan. 11, 2019
The dude came, inspected at 9:30 a.m., back in the afternoon after another emergency job, and checked it out. 4 hours

Jan. 12, 2019

He was supposed to be here by 10:00. I was worried. Arrived 11:30. He was delayed, as his wife and family were supporting friends who lost a family member in the horrific bus incident in Ottawa.
I moved the furniture out of the way. He had to cut a hole in the ceiling.


The pipe, which was to be replaced, goes into the ceiling of the living room. It is drainage for both the toilet and the shower.


Finally, I painted behind the toilet, while it was moved! I should have done it a year ago.


The old one had a crack.


The paint job went well, not that anyone will see it!


New pipes, a hole in the ceiling will be a trap door Thursday. The deer began to recognize his truck!


Saturday afternoon, a leak.
Sunday morning, towels around the toilet. There was water under the pipes so I put out a bucket.
Sunday, noon
I thought I should remove the piece from the hole to check on it. Sure enough. It was wet, too.
This is the toilet stack that takes the stink away. It was puttied, but it didn't hold. It dripped and dripped.


Back upstairs, I shut off the water to the toilet, took the water out of the toilet bowl. I phoned our company, they don't work Sunday, but sent an email of the photo to the boss. He sent the dude, who showed up at 9 a.m. Monday. Whew! He checked it out and determined a plan. The stack was dislodged when he replaced the stuff  under the toilet. It'll have to be replaced.

Off he went, shopping. He returned at 11:30, with stuff. Left at one. A new hole in the wall, where the stack was leaking.



The ceiling was wet, but dried when I turned off the toilet.

I washed the bathroom floor, but didn't bother vacuuming yet.
JB discovered a small drip at 5 p.m. I think swearing was involved.


Tuesday, Jan. 15

Still leaking from the elbow, the dude reglued it.
9: - 10:00.
Afternoon, still leaking, albeit slowly.


Thursday, Jan.17

It's a slow drip, but a drip nonetheless. I am taking my anxiety medication, to help me sleep. It makes such a difference. Dude had reglued it, but it didn't take. He taped it. So far, so good.


We now have two access panels. Seen here prior to installation. A cheap fix.


I'm wondering if I should paint the access panel in the bathroom? 


BTW the toilet paper holder fell off the wall yesterday, as I changed the roll. I guess it had been knocked during reconstruction. The screws are loose in the wall. I'll have to tackle that today.

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Plumbing is so aggravating.

Although not plumbing, our situation is water related. We have a leak in the garage that no one (so far) can fix. We've re-caulked or tarred or whatever, but it still leaks. The last guy we had in said he'd come back in spring because he couldn't do anything in winter. I think he may finally fix it as he seems to know what he's doing and seems to be determined to fix it.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...O.M.G. ... You needed to apply some of your magic putty stuff!!! Would that work for the roll holder??? YAM xx

Christine said...

Oh geez not fun issues to have in winter

DUTA said...

It pays to have some basic knowledge of home plumbing and electricity, and not to be entirely dependent on professionals. They like to start big with breaking tiles, walls , fixtures. Sometimes, it's a small issue. Last week I had a problem under the sink. the small pipe (Nil) that connected the water supply pipe to the tap got broken and some of it remained within the pipe in the wall. I knew it had to be replaced and I bought a new one, but was unable to remove the remaining part. The plumber tried to scare me by saying there's a risk, the hammer might break the cabinet.. I said there's a risk in everything, and yet I expect him to do his best and remove the part smoothly. He did.

Nancy J said...

I hope our plumbing alterations go better than your fix-ups. Is this the last of toilet problems? Stay warm as the snow and storm drives over so many areas.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my you have been through the mill with that plumbing issue. Hope it stays repaired now! :(

William Kendall said...

What a headache!

Red said...

How can a simple job turn into such a disaster. I try not to hire trades for anything . Tape is not the way to fix something.

Olga said...

Shivers. I have been experiencing a leak at my condo that has yet to be explained. I am going with demonic possession. I also suggested hiring a dowser to discover the source. My plumber friend insists on a more methodical and "rational" approach and decided to wait until I left for the winter months to tackle it so I wouldn't be there to kibitz.

NatureFootstep said...

ouch, that was bad. What a mess. Glad though it could be fixed :)