Friday 10 July 2020

water fountain, goldfish pond, kiddie pool

We're in a heat wave. The air conditioner is now toast. It was keeping us down to 25 C. indoors up until yesterday. By the late afternoon, it was up to 30 indoors. I've totally turned it off and left the furnace fan running. 
At bedtime, I opened up all the windows and doors and hoped for the best. (I should have done this the night before!) This morning the indoor temperature had gone down to 26 C.  and I'll figure out when to close up for that day. The new A/C will be installed Monday. We live in a little chocolate brown box, and the house just absorbs all the heat.

The cats wouldn't some in for long. They sit under plants in the shade. Can you see him?! 

I cleaned the fountain Wednesday. It was a task to dismantle it , but it's all fresh and clean! It was nice playing with the water in the heat, although the bowls are quite heavy, and I am not very tall. I accidentally sprayed myself in the face a couple of times while cleaning and filling it with water. Aaaaaahhhh. It was lovely!

 

The most important thing I did Wednesday, was blow up the pool rim. It is time. The girls will be back Monday. I'll have to fill it up a bit each day. It warms faster that way and it is better for the well, I imagine. The well water is pretty cold.

I put my feet up watching the pool fill, and could see clouds in the distance, but no rain.

The goldfish pond is doing well, with an actual water lily that is blooming.

The frog pond is now a memory. With little rain in the forecast, the remaining critters have either hunkered down in the mud, or been eaten by birds and raccoons. We'll have to wait for spring melt to begin the cycle again.



This was funny. As I walked down to the pond, there was a fawn. It moved too fast for me to capture, but they appeared on the trailcam at the other end of the frogpond.  


8 comments:

Tom said...

...we all need to stay cool now!

Anvilcloud said...

I have just made a post from the back deck which is still not hot this morning, but I imagine that the rising heat will soon drive me in. Sorry about your AC. This is not a good time for that. We set our to 24, but it is degrees hotter upstairs. I don’t know how may degrees, but you can really feel the difference. CP is finally opening a cooling centre in the arena today for those who need it. Last I heard Perth didn’t have a place, but maybe they will figure something out too.

William Kendall said...

And it seems that this heat will stay for at least the weekend.

Karen said...

We got a brief burst of rain this morning. Just enough to make it even more humid. It evaporated as soon as it hit our dark green steel roofing.

RedPat said...

I sure hope that your A/C people turn up on Monday!

DUTA said...

I was never really happy with as I need open windows.
No. there's a change in the guidelines. It appears AC helps spreading the virus, so, on public transport the drivers are requested to keep windows open with or without AC.

Nancy J said...

Monday, you will celebrate when the new AC is in and working,. We have had reasonable mornings here, some places were well into the minus, and a heap of snow both north and south.

DUTA said...

correction: "...never happy with AC..."
Now (not no)
(lately my keyboard has been skipping words and letters; sorry!)