Monday 13 July 2020

Book Review: You Should Be Writing


You Should Be Writing: A Journal of Inspiration & Instruction to Keep Your Pen Moving
     –Brenda Knight, Nita Sweeney

I was sent this book to review. I agreed to review it, because I know how much blogging helps me to focus, and look back on my day. I usually use my photos as a springboard, but for serious writers, writing is a practice. You do it daily.

Some people need a bit of a stimulus, which is what this book does.
It gives you quotes from inspiring writers. Each chapter gives you some wise words, then space for you to write. 

There is something about putting pen to paper that is satisfying.

One of the authors, Nita Sweeney, worked with one of my favourite writing teachers, Natalie Goldberg. I often used Ms. Goldberg's books when teaching writing. You can read more about that here: reading about writing.
.

It would be a lovely gift, for someone who says, "I'd like to write more!" 


From the publisher:

Writing Inspiration from Incredible Authors. Gathered by Brenda Knight and writing coach Nita Sweeney, author of Depression Hates a Moving TargetYou Should Be Writing provides you with writing wisdom from a variety of accomplished authors.

Creative Writing Practice for Every Genre. This writing journal with prompts helps you practice a wide variety of writing skills. The excerpts and prompts include:

  • General advice: “Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even the people who are most important to you.” - Zadie Smith
  • Helpful instructions: “If you scribble your thoughts any which way, your reader will surely feel that you care nothing about them.” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Genre-specific writing ideas and tips for particular areas of writing, such as poetry or storytelling: “For those whose bucket-list entails seeing their name on the spine of a book, it boils down to the power of persistence.” - Marlene Wagman-Geller

3 comments:

Tom said...

...thing would be right up my wife's alley.

Christine said...

Nice review.

Hootin Anni said...

I enjoyed the insight!