Friday 24 July 2020

Book Review: American Dreamer


 This book interested me. The publicist sent me a copy. I'm having trouble reading it, with my cataracts, but it was compelling and I persevered. 

I taught kids who were Vietnamese refugees, as well as kids who fled the Gulf War. Their stories are shocking, amazing, terrifying, and showed courage. This autobiography is the same. In this time of COVID–19, with racism rearing its ugly head, and people targeting Asians, I think the best thing we can do is read about what it is like to escape a horrid regime. 
Tim Tran's life was interesting, shocking. He writes about North and South Vietnam, the horrible war as the communists tried to take over the south. I'd read about this, and talked to my students about it. 

The book tells us about life in Communist Vietnam, being attacked by pirates, and fighting to flee the regime. This is why biographies are so important for white people to understand white privilege. What I found fascinating is that the men Tim Tran encountered were quite obvious about black racism, and not so much against Tran, a visible Asian. That racism has reared its ugly head in the year of COVID–19, and the ignorant attitudes towards others. As a white woman, I am so embarrassed.

In this time of Black Lives Matter, we must bear witness. Canada had its white privilege, and our politicians of the time were amazingly racist. Our first PM, Macdonald, tried to get rid of First Nations. Egerton Ryerson created racist, abusive residential schools.  
It is a very moving memoir. It is amazing to read what people go through to find a better life. In fact he didn't FIND a better life, he created one for himself with hard work and a positive attitude.



What We Can Learn About Surviving Crisis from Refugees Who Come to America
  
Tim Tran was 4 years old, when his parents fled communist North Vietnam on a US landing craft going to South Vietnam. Only life became difficult and very dangerous when South Vietnam fell to the communists on April 30, 1975.

“I survived the harrowing trip from Communist Vietnam and landed on the Malaysian shore.  As the refugees were confined in a make-shift prison on the beach surrounded by barb wire, I saw a SUV with the “UNHCR” letter arrived. The UNHCR commissioner asked “Does anyone here speak English?” I raised my hand and replied ’Khiem Tran, University of California, Berkeley. Class of 1974!’ The UNHCR commissioner smiled and asked me to step forward to help him.”

He has words of wisdom for others:

“Work hard, work harder than others, and carry a positive attitude. Be optimistic. Be persistent. Don’t give up.”

“Invest your time and effort in your career,” Tim says. “Strive for excellence in everything you do, never settle for mediocrity.”

Other insights he shares:

  • Be honest intellectually. Never hesitate to say “I don’t know”, but do ask for time to find the answers. 
  • Always find ways to improve your knowledge and skill.
  • Carry a positive attitude, be optimistic, and be perseverant.
  • Plan ahead, be prepared to seize any opportunity that presents itself.

4 comments:

Tom said...

...there have been many American Dreamers and now Trump wants to send them back to countries that they don't know!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for the information and review.

All the best Jan

Ontario Wanderer said...

Looks like a good read. I shall look for it in the library.

eileeninmd said...

Great review. I wish you a speedy recovery with your eye surgery.
Take care and enjoy your weekend.