Thursday 2 July 2020

Hot and no rain in sight

Despite the lack of rain, the trees are doing well. These are the chestnuts beginning to form.


My rose bush, hidden by an evergreen since removed, has flourished. 

Here is our last large Catalpa tree. It is in full bloom. (The other one has died.)

The milkweed are lovely and fragrant, just beside the front porch. We anxiously await the monarchs!

The petunias I managed to grab at our local nursery, although flowers were scarce, are looking great.

My Peace rose.

The hops vine is reaching higher!

Doe in the field. Grampa walks in town, almost every morning. He regularly sees a rabbit. This morning, he spotted out doe. 

Indoors, my orchid is throwing out some new buds, as well as a new leaf. I'm so happy I haven't killed it!

It's been terribly hot. The poor girls. We trot down to the trailcams and run back. The bugs are awful. You can see the fawn just shaking its head for the bugs.
 



Josephine and I watched some news, and we had some good discussions about Black Lives Matter, for example. Izzy was in the basement reading. 

"If there is evidence of privilege, it's to feel so insulated from adversity, so inoculated from suffering, so immune from struggle, so unaffected by reality—that you could simply turn off the news, because the act feels inconsequential to your existence."
New Canadian COVID–19 cases are slowing down.
Ontario: new cases

Each day shows new cases reported since the previous day ·
Updated less than 40 mins ago
·
Source:Wikipedia
·

The USA is having 50,000 new cases each day. We aren't opening up our border anytime soon. The problem is, citizens who are unemployed cannot get tested. It costs them $199. Our Canadian truckers are saying that people are walking away from being tested for that reason. 


I brought out a 500-piece puzzle, which was a hit! We worked on it over several periods during the day. I think we'll finish today.

JB and I sat on the back deck while the girls watched their afternoon video. As we sat there, Fred gopher appeared.

I grilled hamburgers for dinner. Then, dessert!

Still working! I brought out the card table for a place to sort the pieces! They have unusual shapes, which makes it a good challenge.

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Dinner sounds nice and the dessert yummy too. Pretty roses and flowers.
The deer are so pretty, so lovely to see. Enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...we are enjoying the same weather, but I'd love another rainy day.

Hootin Anni said...

I love, love the puzzle of kittens. Wish I could find one like that. We had hamburgers for dinner last night too. One of my favorite meals. A doe & gopher in the same post...pretty cool. LOVE the wildlife you see. And the orchid...they're pretty hardy.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lots of Monarchs here and there were a couple checking out the milkweed in our backyard yesterday. Have to check for eggs, although while I was watching none of them landed on the plant.

Nancy J said...

Love the jigsaw, that would keep any cat lover having a great time. Super backyard scenes, we have had rain, cold, snow further north, freezing wind, and joy of joys, I can walk in the cold and get no angina. A miracle!!

Anvilcloud said...

We had another nice visit in the park this morning. We went early enough that we kept our cool quite nicely.

Olga said...

Here in Vermont we had a dump of rain on the last day of June -- enough to save us from making the record for lowest rainfall in the history of records. A lot of rain in the last three or four days of June here.

DUTA said...

We do thousands of corona tests each day. The results - depressing!
So far, we've been living in a "paradise of fools" with low numbers.

Red said...

If I walked through your yard at any time, somehow I would be caught. Things ain't what they used to be.

Karen said...

We had a couple of hours of good steady rain after supper tonight. The plants were loving it, but man is the humidity crazy!