Thursday 4 July 2019

Muskoka Trip – Part 7 Bala => Port Carling => Rosseau => Huntsville

We drove around Bala. Great memories.
The Balacade was just sold this past year, by the family who has run it for decades.


OK, as I said, we cottaged here for 50 years. This building has had many iterations.


There aren't that many older buildings in Bala, many burned in the days of yore. Can you guess the year? That's me (red), my dad, and little brother.

This place has been a pub for as long as I can remember. The patio is interesting!



Everyone knows the Kee to Bala, formerly Dunn's Pavilion! The big band era, women in white gloves, dancing around the water fountain.


I cannot remember when this building was full.




The school must have been having a blanket ceremony! There are so many wonderful First Nation teachers at Wahta. I retired from teaching when we lived in Bala (2005 - 2010). I offered to volunteer at the local elementary school. The principal phoned me and asked me to pour juice during the nutritional breaks. I didn't get back to her.


Port Carling



This hill is quite something. I made a video of an incident during the big snowfall. We'd had snomaggedon that December. The plow was trying to do its job when a car passed it, went around it at the bottom of the hill and couldn't get up, (Dec. 2009 – Snowplows and skidoos).


There are a lot of wealthy cottagers who come from the US.


An amazing Port Carling building.


Can you see the sign? "Sweet Jesus!" I was curious and we walked around to it.


Sweet Jesus and its stairway to heaven.


This mural is amazing. It is made of individual photos.


This new building is interesting.


One must keep an eye out for critters.


Rosseau!

The OPP are on patrol.


Crossroads

This restaurant is a favourite of ours. Husband and wife, chefs Julie and Richard Lalonde, used to live in Bala. Julie prepared Meals on Wheels for Bala residents, which JB delivered. They moved 11 years ago to run this place. 



Muskoka Rocks! Tricky on these hills with this load. This was quite the tale!



We toodled along highway #141 to Bent River. It's a pretty drive.


I liked this cloud!

We left Rosseau to go back to the hotel. 

Muskoka Beach Road, Gravenhurst

For dinner, we went to Huntsville, to visit with Lake of Bays Counsellor Nancy Tapley.
The show was on in Huntsville. Muskoka has a great summer theatre.


We ate on the upper back deck. Yummy food.


We talked and had a great time. Nancy and her brother run Bondi VillageIt's an amazing cottage resort. My family and I stayed here the last weekend in January for many years. We'd go skiing.

Then, back to Gravenhurst, to our hotel.


It was a big day for travel!




7 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Big day, yes, but goreous! YAM xx

Rain said...

Great post, I loved all of the photos!!! That burger made me salivate! Interesting...at one point, I was going to move to Huntsville!

Nancy J said...

All that traffic waiting, the grader, and you walked up there to get the video,Love those old buildings.

William Kendall said...

Quite a drive! It's been years since I've been in Muskoka. I miss it.

Red said...

You cover a lot of territory in a day. You must be having fun.

Lady Fi said...

What a scenic trip! Looks lovely. And that mural is just amazing!

DUTA said...

The two women picture (you and Nancy) is lovely!
You 've offered to volunteer at a school, after your retirement?! You must be something. Here, teachers who retire never look back. It's as if they have escaped from a bad prison.