Saturday 20 July 2019

🎶🎶🎶It's a tropical heat wave!

We have a heat warning in southern Ontario. It's been awful. I've been taking it easy, doing some outdoor chores, and then putting my feet up. I aim for shoveling one wheelbarrow full of dirt a day.

This past week Nunavut, in Northern Canada, was hotter than Victoria, B.C.

There are heat warnings on both sides of the border. The red indicates where. Climate Change is a horrible thing. These extreme temperatures are killing people.



Red is right: he commented that I'd be very surprised to find a human on the trailcam. We live on 16 acres, surrounded by a wetland and bordered on west side by the highway.
I wear a red hoodie, to protect my arms, but it is so hot even in the early morning.



You'd have to be crazy to walk in my forest for no reason, though. The bugs are horrid, which is why we are blessed with so many song birds.  I popped out to check on the goldfish, and a deerfly began circling my head. Then another! A dragonfly flew over and began going after them near my head. It was amazing!


I've been taking the sticky paper, which I put on my cap, wrap it on a stick, and give it to the goldfish. They love it. They'll pick off those nasty deerflies.


She was so cute! I was watching from the window, and she 'mushed' the heron and made it spin. She was so proud of herself. Maybe she had an itch?!
deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Meanwhile, down in the forest, don't blink!
 
coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The cedar waxwings have been amazing. There was a group of 5 on this tree. I focused on the one, you can hear them with their delicate peeping! One rises up, and the others follow, skooting through the trees as they dance in the air. So delighted to be air born!
cedar waxwing from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Your critter posts are always a joy, Jenn! YAM xx

DUTA said...

As long as there's warning of something bad going to happen - things are still good. Time for preparedness. The new tendency, however, is sudden, out of the blue, climate disaster as it happened in Greece (my last post of july 12th). Weather forecasters are completely confused.

Nancy J said...

That heat wave is serious, keep cool, love the deer video, she is so happy there. Bugs, good to have sticky papers, and hope all the felines have found where is the best place to keep cooler right now.

Out To Pasture said...

Special thanks to the dragonflies! It must be so satisfying to watch the goldfish scarf down the deerflies!

Lowcarb team member said...

It seems worldwide this summer has been so hot!
Keep as cool as you can, and take care.

All the best Jan

Red said...

I think that climate change will accelerate and we will be in more difficulty sooner than we think.

Linda said...

Cute deer, the honeysuckle berries are covering the tree, love the cedar waxwings

Anvilcloud said...

Sooo hot.
I am glad that you recycle the deer flies, so to speak.

William Kendall said...

The deer video is precious!