Friday 28 June 2019

Our vacay – a road trip Part 1

Pre-trip Prep: Monday

We decided to go to Muskoka to check out the folks.  JB phoned the hotel, and they put him through to reservations. The reservations person was not in Canada. He carefully gave all his information, several times. She had an east Indian accent. She didn't understand the we are in Canada and kept asking for the state and the zip code. We have postal codes, not zip codes, which differ. The zip codes are all number, we have letters and numbers. 🙄

The problem is it's a big chain, Residence Inn Marriott Gravenhurst, and it goes to an outsourced reservation system. We were supposed to get an email confirmation, but it didn't come. This usually happens within minutes. A day later, nada. He phoned back and did it directly. This outsourcing really sucks. Not only that, but the website showed them filling up. This worried me! Notice the 'no view' message.

Meantime, I shut off the fountain, put planters into the garden, hoping we have rain when we are gone. They are drying out daily, and I'd hate to lose them. There is rain to the west, which is where we get weather from.





Cats were given extra food. Three litter boxes help. We came up with a plan, and a packing list. Caitlin sends out the most amazing spreadsheets of their amazing world travels. I sent this to two of my kids, letting them know where we were going.


The Great Muskoka Vacation
Tuesday, June 25
7 or 8 a.m. Head for Bracebridge
lunch Bracebridge
Residence Inn Marriott Gravenhurst
4 p.m. Torrance Cemetery, Bala
Wednesday, June 26
7a.m. coffee, breakfast
9 a.m. Gravenhurst Market
Drive to Port Carling, Rosseau, 
lunch Rosseau
Back to hotel?
6:30        Dinner with Nancy Tapley, 3 Guys & A Stove
8 p.m. Back to hotel
Thursday, June 27th
7 a.m. breakfast at the hotel
Head for home via Algonquin Park



As I was packing, I noticed someone who would look after the garden. We had rain on Wednesday, for which I was grateful. Just one hanging basket doesn't look great, but that's because it was in too much sun.



With rain on the way, we've had some heat, I knew it'd be better for the goldfish.


I left the house wrens with another brood.

I left the deer a coyotes to themselves. 



I took a final video of the hummingbird(s) she sat for two minutes, which I edited...

hummingbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Let the good times roll!

7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Safe and happy travels. Love the deer and hummer. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
This is why I tend to use Booking dot com for all my reservations. No confusion as to language barriers. Yes, one occasionally gets a dud as I did in Telopea - but that could happen anyway, no matter how one booked. Anyway - preps made -now for the road! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

So you're home. I trust all went well.

Rain said...

Hi Jenn :) Great photos of the deer and coyote! I hope you have a lovely time on your getaway!! I'm not a fan of outsourcing either.

William Kendall said...

Your gardener is a good choice for the task. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Indeed - let the good times roll!
Lovely post, photographs and video.

Wishing you safe journey and a good time.

All the best Jan

Kay said...

Looks like you've got everything set. Have a super wonderful time! Yay!