Saturday 23 March 2019

turkeys, coyote, wood ducks

Well, that was a shock. Overnight we had a sudden blizzardy storm. Not too much snow, but it is cold.

I spotted my first red wing!


The temperatures have been up and down. Soon the ducks will return, and we can expect some critters on the frog pond. I am giddy with anticipation. Here is some foreshadowing.
June 2, 2017
On my walk the other day, I looked into the three wood duck nesting boxes.  Mice friends set up house in one of them. 

I did not take out the duck down, or the empty shells last fall. They need a clean out, and I have to put clean shavings in.


The trailcams have revealed the usual suspects. Wild turkeys and deer. A few days ago, March 20, we had sunshine. The turkeys are so pretty. This is a video montage of their photo antics.

There were a pair of coyotes in the dark at 1 a.m. A lousy shot in the snowy, moist night.

Soon, I can expect them to mug for the trailcam.

We went to dinner on the lake. Friday night, date night.
The blizzard was just beginning. Our server has a good heart, and wanted to bring the swans in to sit by the fire!


I think a beaver or muskrat.


Home again... the driveway has melted, for the most part.
 The sun warms the white pine, and the pine tree embraced it, giving warm hugs.

Saturday's Critters #275


10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We had had some spring time snow, I am hoping it is over for now. Love the Wood duck, they are so pretty. Neat turkey video. Great post and photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for the comment and visit to my blog.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Spring really is coming on strong now. I already have a few green shoots poking out of the ground.

Anvilcloud said...

I just read a post (from Chicago) and their ducks are returning.

Powell River Books said...

You dress up more than I do for dinner dates. One thing I love about Powell River is you can come as you are just about anyplace. Poor mice will lose their warm home, but the wood ducks need their nests clean and ready to go. - Margy

Nancy J said...

The driveway??? Still looks very white to me. Love the new hairstyle? where did the other lovely colour go?

Adam Jones said...

The Wood Duck is such a colourful thing.

RedPat said...

I heard a Red-wing this week but didn't see him. He must be shivering today!

William Kendall said...

The turkeys are quite photogenic. The wind was ferocious in the night.

Red said...

Variable weather in the spring is normal.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The turkeys look beautiful on the snow! Your trail cam is so rewarding.