Tuesday 5 March 2019

Paperwhites and a rabbit

We get a bit antsy in the depths of winter. The cardinals are a bit of colour...


 Things are turning over, with more sun, longer, warmer days, but the nights are still cold.

One year, I painted the snow.


Hubby bought me this planted rabbit last year. Eventually, the plants died. It's tricky for planters without a drainage hole. I either overwatered or forgot to water it.


I have a new project. Every year I plant paperwhites.

Last year I had helpers. (I planted them in the tub!) Hooper has grown. 


I was thinking it was getting too late for them to flower by Easter.

March 4th

I found my rabbit, cleaned her out, and put some marbles in the bottom for drainage. Down to the basement to fetch said bulbs. Hooper was keen, at first. He hopped up on the table, but grew bored.


Happily, they had begun to grow, in the cold and dark.


There... now we wait, patiently. Just enough water, not too much, she said to herself, hopefully.



March 5 – 4cm
March 6 – 5cm
March 8 – 6 cm
March 11 – 11 cm

March 16

14 comments:

Karen said...

I pulled my amaryllis out of it's cold dark storage spot, gave it a drink and set it in the warm sun. It grew 3 cm. in one day! I have tomatoes under grow lights and on south window sills. The ones on the window sills came up first. Bits of growth are so encouraging aren't they?

Cloudia said...

Bunnies!

Nancy J said...

Paperwhites or Earlycheer, they are a wonderful sight at the start of spring and their perfume can fill a room so quickly. Just a bit much for those with a smell allergy. Hooper? He was a whole lot smaller then.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
What a delightful wee arrangement! Looking forward to your photos of the blooms when they arrive. YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I hope the flowers do well for you. Even a little project like this adds a little something to our days.

You caught the cardinal at a good moment.

Olga said...

The rabbit will be lovely with paper whites in bloom.

Kathy G said...

Flowers will look quite cute in your bunny.

Sue (this n that) said...

Love the splash of colour the Cardinal gives against the snow.
Wow!!! I thought the way you painted the snow is fabulous - what a fun thing to do :D)
Your paperwhites will be so sweet in the bunny... they're looking good so far. Cheers to you Jenn xx

Christine said...

Spring's in the air Jenn, it's so cold today though.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully it works.

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww....minus 16 C?.....frozen cold.
Your snow painting looks so beautiful.
have a great day

Angie said...

Jenn - around here, everyone is talking about the fact that this has been the coldest February on record since 1936. Yikes! I am expecting some guests on Thursday, and so I shoveled the path to our front door (normally we use the side door). It is at least four feet deep, but still easy to shovel 'cause it's so light and fluffy! It would be the perfect place to paint, as you did!

Linda said...

We had 17.2 cm of snow yesterday, and now I’m getting really fed up with winter. We are taking a bus trip to Canada Blooms to see, smell and touch a bit of spring.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your paperwhites will look good in the bunny.
Love the painting in the snow.

All the best Jan