Tuesday 26 March 2019

The trailcam and more signs of spring

Holy smokes. This is unusual weather. Climate Change vs. weather, who knows? Smart asses continue to call it "Global Warming", but scientists have disabused thoughtful citizens from this notion.

I recovered the photos from the trailcam. On the way, I spotted some interesting tracks. Mine are in the middle, but the coyote tracks showed a strange pattern. They approached the path, then abruptly went in the other direction.


The trailcam photos explain why. The light scared him!


The poor deer are looking a bit scruffy. They do fight!


Out the front window, a regular visitor. You'll see we still have snow.


I took myself down to the wetland. I had friends! There were two deer watching me. These are photos with the videocamera, they aren't great. But I like to take my faithful readers along the way.



When the sun shines under the shelter of the trees, it cuddles the heat. You can see it beginning to melt. The snow is soft, after it warms up from the sun. The forest walking is much easier. I haven't been to our third lot until today. It's been frozen snow, and treacherous walking.


I looked more closely, and the water levels have gone down a great deal. The ice stays frozen on top. It's tricky walking for critters.



Last night, I noticed the deer looking off in the forest. I couldn't see a predator, but I did notice Butch raccoon, as I suspected. The poor thing has a sore leg. I threw some peanuts under the bird feeder for it. She came around to the front and got some food.
Butch raccoon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

DUTA said...

I called it from the very beginning - anomalous climate/weather. 'Anomality' is the right term, if you ask me (and I am no scientist), as it involves both warming and cooling.

Anvilcloud said...

Going up to >5 for a few days with some double digits in the 14 day forecast.

Nancy J said...

Butch, I so often wonder how in the wild injured animals fare for food and safety. You are taking care right there in your own yard, love it all.Wish I was there!!!

Tanza Erlambang said...

waw….deer….thank you for sharing exciting video.
have a great day

Christine said...

Nice to see all the sunlight!

Karen said...

Happy we aren't having a rapid thaw!

William Kendall said...

Good shots!

I saw some Canada geese earlier today for the first time this year.

Red said...

Watching deer or any other critter can tel you a lot of what is going on. It's like in the classroom. Keep your eye on somebody and they will tell you what's going on. Remember that?

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the pictures with the trees and the shadows in the snow.

All the best Jan