Sunday 17 March 2019

Shopping for a new TV stand

The second hand TV and stand.
A gift from the kids' house.
The old TVs are gone to recycle. Time to move into the new millennium. We watch a lot of TV, I confess. We watch a lot of DVDs, mostly mysteries. We just finished the US series: House of Cards. Wowsers. Art imitating life, methinks.

TV stands sure have changed. But, then, TVs are so light. 

We are going to move the old TV stand to the basement, and get something new for upstairs. The cats like TV, too. They had a bit of a bad time. The last two films we watched had barking dogs in it. Annabelle, especially, didn't like it. I'm wondering if there were dogs or coyotes after her when she was homeless.
The upstairs TV stand,
built by the previous home owner,
we've had it 9 years.
We didn't know what we wanted. JB went around Smiths Falls, after his walk, and I suggested he take photos, which he did! He did a fine job. You can use anything as a TV stand. New TVs are so light.
Trick is, there aren't a lot of stores around. Hubby hit all the second hand stores, as well as the local furniture stores.

When the snow has thawed and frozen again, horrid walking conditions: shopping! You can see a lot of different styles, especially after looking them up online, they pop up in all sorts of for-profit webpages. You can order them online for about $200. I looked for a nesting box, it popped up on the ad page.


$698
$25, but missing shelves, and wobbly
We were ready to buy it, but did not once we inspected it.
$800, originally $1700
It's solid wood in an interior design store.
$25 – heavy metal
The front door slides, one person bought it to use as a dresser,
not a bad idea!
They have cardboard TVs on them!
With all the peripherals, you need open shelves, and most have holes in the back.


Some have an electric fireplace built in.


The new ones, made of real wood, range from $500+ CDN. I like the look and feel of wood.


What's with the raised tops for coffee tables??!!

a coffee table... $398


We have a decision to make. We'll get some money back from our taxes, once I do them up.

It was a nice drive home.




 Diana has done up her cow! I love it...

My back is really sore. Time for a workout and stretches. Meantime, cat watching! OK, cat discipline. He found it. I had such high hopes.

11 comments:

Al said...

I watch almost no TV, but could certainly use a new coffee table.

Bob Bushell said...

I'm glad you can make a deal, plenty of choises.

Nancy J said...

Years ago, so many that I do not count them, there were sometimes 2 or 3 choices when you had to buy something. For my Mum with tiny feet, maybe once a year shoes came in in her size. TV sets, now even there too many to choose from. A bit like quilting fabric. Go with wood, sturdy, cat proof, and looks ageless. OOPS, why does that last detail matter? I like plain, timeless designs.Price range? How can they be so expensive, maybe even more than the TV itself. Thanks for your love for us and those in Christchurch, it means so much to me and I have passed it on.XXX

William Kendall said...

Hooper has a one track mind at present.

Red said...

the many varieties of TV stands is mind boggling for a non shopper like me!

Christine said...

we still have some old TVs and stands and some new ones...old stands and new ones...should really change all the old ones out.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ours is built in and the other on top of a dresser so much for fancy! Hope you find a stand you like. I watch TV probably too much but it is winter:)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think we have all the furniture we need and I doubt that we will be shopping for anything any time soon. In terms of television, we always seem to have so much else on the go that we watch very little. In fact, a couple of years back the old TV went on the fritz and we were six and a half months without one. The one we finally bought has a small screen by today's standards, but it doesn't dominate the room and is fine for us. And we only have one unit in the family room. There are no televisions anywhere else in the house.

Karen said...

I think those pop tops are for dining

Olga said...

Sometimes the number of choices can be overwhelming.

Linda said...

Lucky you getting tax money back, we always have to pay. So many choices for a tv stand, I’m sure you’ll make the right decision.