Friday 1 March 2019

Monarch butterfly news

On a brighter note, March is here. This is the wreath Isabelle and I made, shining in the sun. The camera doesn't pick it up, but it shines rainbow colours. It is light about 6 a.m. these days, this is a good thing! The trailcams show the usual suspects: snowy deer and turkeys.

I shall have to use my snowshoes to change the red ribbons to green. It's on my To Do list.

Happy March! I'm looking forward to it... stuff will thaw, green things will grow. Well, I anticipate, perhaps in April.


There has been both good and bad news about North American Monarchs. In the depths of winter, it's good to remember our other seasonal friends. There were reports from the south. Monarchs have two separate populations, one in the west, and ours in the east. Our eastern ones have had a population increase. The ones in the west, wintering in California, are at risk.

There was a press conference in Mexico City. The butterfly sanctuary numbers came in. They estimate their populations by how much of the forest is covered by butterflies. They had the highest recorded since 2006: 14.9 acres of forest was covered in butterflies, a record high and an increase of 144%!

Population News From Mexico: Highest Since 2006 (<= read more)



We had a banner year, last year.  I tagged a few [Monarchs, deer, turkeys], and so did my grandies, just for fun. This was the last one of the season.

UPDATE: I realized from comments that I didn't talk about the tagging. I ordered them from Monarch Watch (UKansas) they give you directions, you register your numbers after you tag them. If your numbers are found, they let you know. 
Monarch Watch (UKansas)



For more critters.... can you believe Eileen is up to #272??!!

Saturday's Critters #272


13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I did not expect to read of butterflies on this day, but it was pleasant to do so.

Karen said...

Tell me why you tag them please. Are they captured and read at the other end?

Red said...

do you ever get your banded critters picked up and tags sent back?

Nancy J said...

Down here the monarchs hibernate under huge groves of pine trees near the coast. And then we can see adults flying round at unusual times.I love their life cycle.Roll on spring for you, as we are having cold mornings, really in Autumn now.Warm to hot days, then a cool night again.

Christine said...

beautiful photos, happy March, sad about some of the monarchs though.

William Kendall said...

March has come in like a lamb. We'll see if it leaves like a lion.

Mary Bolton said...

On a damp day in October, my husband & I gathered up seeds from the
Milk weed pods and scattered them in a spot we hope will be good for them to sprout. Keeping our fingers crossed. We host a party at the end of summer, and the folks who attend get a speech about the "weeds" that we leave for pollinators.

Jenn Jilks said...

They check for the tags in Mexico, Karen. They hire local folks to look for them. It's rather interesting, if far-fetched, but I wanted to try it! My understanding is they die, and they find them.

You register your numbers with them, and they contact us if our stickers are found, Keith. I haven't heard a word, but perhaps they find them on the return flight in spring. I don't know.

Adam Jones said...

The Monarch is so pretty.

carol l mckenna said...

What fantastic nature shots ~ love the deer ~ ^_^

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your wreath is pretty. Love your monarch photos. The tagging is interesting. I hope their numbers pick up in the west. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

Linda said...

Looking forward to growing season, seemed to miss most of it last year with my knee surgery. Also looking forward to the time change and lighter evenings.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's very interesting about the tagging. We are seeing a lot more butterflies here in the past couple of weeks. I need to learn to take better pics of them! Hugs!