Sunday 22 March 2009

MTM - fishtown


I have a mystery in My Town. Sometimes we look close to home for a good story.

We have goldfish in a fishtank. Once upon a time they went outdoors into our pond. I built a beautiful pond in Nepean, where I lived near Ottawa. The pond was built from stones from the front stairs that crumbled with old age and frost.

I bought dime-store goldfish who thrived in my new pond, and survived, a long trip (450 km) here to Muskoka. I was so sad to leave this structure behind...

We would bring the fish in before the Fall. They seemed happy to come in for a break from marauding raccoons. I began with 3, one didn't hide well. It could have been the fisher, too. The pond pump broke last year. It dumped oil into the pond, and I couldn't clean it up. Now, my fish are restricted to the fish tank all year.

I have never had any problems with the tank. I bought it from a Nepean mom & dad whose son had skipped town and left his carp behind, excuse the pun, without living fish. They sold it to me. Mitzie, our weird cat, loved to 'fish' when she was healthier.

It is a beautiful tank. I have had fish since I was in high school. My parent's friend, the late Uncle Bob Arden, first showed me how to set up the tank. I started with guppies and had a variety of fishies over the years. My late-ex-father--in-law raised tropical fish and gave me some cichlids. Just gorgeous. He had a pirhana named Percy. When you entered the basement room, it housed perhaps 20 fish tanks, Percy would slowly turn you way and stare at you. He ate goldfish.

My goldfish must be nearly 5 years old. Unfortunately, the fish water keeps turning green. It was bizarre the first few times. I have to change about 50% of the water every few days to ameliorate this problem - I cannot seem to get rid of it entirely. Except between November and February it did not occur. I am quite curious. My hydrogeologist daughter cannot figure it out, either. We think the pH is prone to fluctuations. I tried with pH balance chemical but it did not help.



11 comments:

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

Your outdoor pond is gorgeous, I had to show my husband. We would love to have something like this. Is it hard to take care of?

We had a nice tank of fish when we lived in Georgia. We had a goldfish that thought he was Jaws, he got so BIG.

We had a Siamese Cat that loved to drink out of the tank. Ewwwww.... hahaha

I loved your video of the goldfish. I am also enjoying reading the rest of your blog.

You are an amazingly accomplished woman and I am proud to have you as a new friend.

Cece

Linda McLaughlin said...

Yes, that outdoor pond is gorgeous. My brother has a nice one in his hew home, too. It's so soothing to watch fish in an indoor tank, though. Hope you solve the green water puzzle soon.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have always wanted to have a fish pond or aquarium. Lovely.

George said...

I'm very impressed with your outdoor pond. I hope you find what causes your fish tank water to turn green.

debra said...

Sounds fishy to me.....
Actually we had fish when I was growing up. My Dad was the one who loved them and I was the one who got stuck caring for them. Oh well...

Lyzzydee said...

My parents have a fish pond, by accident really. When they bought the house 8 years ago the back garden was overgrown and when we started to sort it out we discovered a fish pond under a load of weeds, their first thought was to get rid of it, but somehow never got around to it. Now its a thriving place where the fish live all year around. They have about a dozen gold fish but were pleased to see that this week they have 8 baby gold fish!

Barbara Martin said...

Love goldfish! Hope you solve your green water problem. Is it algae that's resistant to what preventative you use in the tank?

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Lovely fish pond and your indoor tank is gorgeous as well.

Hope you solve the mystery of the green water soon. Could it be dye leeching from some of the decorations?

Don't pay too much attention to me, I've killed every fish I ever owned in less than a week.

Barrie said...

We had a koi pond when we first moved into this house about 12 years ago. But the raccoons were avid fishermen. And once the fish were gone, we filled in the pond to have more play room for the kids. I think about resurrecting it in the future. ;)

Travis Erwin said...

You got me. Maybe some kind of algae bloom but no cl;ue how to fix the problem.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for all your suggestions. It's hard to figure it out. I don't think it's the plastic plants.

I've tried emptying the entire tank. Putting in new water. It came back in a few days...

I'm wondering if it is the gro-lux light - except that the green stopped mid-November, when we went into double-digit negative temperatures outdoors. We get out water from Lake Muskoka. I'm really mystified!

I love to hear about outdoor ponds. I just love them. I feel it's silly for us- with a whole lake in our front yard!