Sunday 29 March 2009

My town: they're back!



It is with great glee that my husband ran over to me to tell me that our feathered friends were back! I could hardly see them through the pouring rain, though. They have found open water in the frog pond. The lake is not yet fully thawed.

Thank you, all my blogger friends to the south, who tracked the progress of spring critters returning. I knew they were on their way!

The pair of ducks that arrive early appeared the previous day - sailing through the air they landed in the frog pond. This could be Oscar & Myrtle, in the top photo from last year, but it is hard to tell! They stand and preen, standing on one foot. The geese and ducks seem quite content! After a bit of a feed they will stand, alert, on one leg with the other tucked in.

I told the story of Eddie & Eva in a previous year. I haven't seen lonesome Charlie, yet! It is so good to see them. You know that things are unfolding as they should.
Pine Marten
As I watched the geese, they suddenly went out on the ice. I became suspicious. The female mallard was on the dock. I walked down to the water, yes, pouring rain, to take a photo and do a video.

I began doing the video and just as I clicked to stop filming the fisher popped up its large head. I told the story of Sady treeing the marten last November, 2007. At twice her size she just chased him up the tree.

The marten cannot figure out how to get on the ice, since the geese can spot him coming. Through a glass darkly...that eternal dance through the cycle of life.

Our lake seems low, for Spring, and while I do not wish for flooding, as with the Red River, in both Winnipeg and south - in the US, we can use this rain. Normally the water touches the dock.

The cats are not happy with the rain. Grumpy, they have to play indoors today. The crocus has poked up their little heads. For that I am grateful.






Even Peanut Hockey (see the short video!) has to stop, the deck is just drenched and Oliver, apparently, has standards of play. Sunshine and a dry deck...perhaps tomorrow!

17 comments:

debra said...

Spring as come here, as well. Today we alternated between rain and wind, and sun and wind, and sleet and snow and wind. The breeding male goldfinches are bright yellow now, and I spotted violets in the yard. Daffodils are definitely up, and snow is in the forecast. Spring in NE Ohio!

Jain said...

Welcome back, Geese! They're in and out here throughout the winter, depending on how iced over the river is, so we don't get a Big Dramatic Return Moment like you do... fun! I'm surprised they're so far north with that much ice.

Congrats on your new waders! I bought some years ago - had to special order them and waited for months (they didn't make them for grrls back then!). Our parks system had a great program in the spring, seining for minnows and darters - like these:

http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2009/03/warblers-of-underwater-world.html

Good luck getting some pictures!

Mary said...

Love your photos and video. Happy Spring!

Travis Erwin said...

I'm ready for spring but am glad we finally got some snow this past week. a foot no less though it's already gone.

And I'm honored to have played a role in the name of your pirate captain.

Jenn Jilks said...

OK, so I guess I wrote MTM too early. Today it is snowing and the lakeshore froze over. It has been doing that. I see no sign of my feathered friends...but there are many rivers and small bodies of water that are open.

Poor Capt. George can't sail yet today.

Jenn Jilks said...

My chest waders are men's. We don't have any for women around here. The problem with this is that the inseam is shorter. They are sold by shoe size and I had to get a pair that really are too big, to get an long enough pant leg.

Great shot, JMS, of the waders. We have extensive parks programs, too.

I am surprised that the ducks and geese are back, much ice on smaller lakes. The big one, Lake Muskoka, is quite open especially where it drains through Bala Falls!

pattinase (abbott) said...

We are inundated with geese since we live a block from a large lake. Pretty but messy birds.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's true, pattinase. My kids told me tales of university campuses where they had to navigate around them and their deposits! With only a couple pair, they are quite territorial on our rock, we don't have more than 4 or 5 on our small lake.

Barbara Martin said...

Ah, spring: sunny one day, the next rain or snow. Such is life. But soon the days will grow warmer and we'll all be complaining about the heat and the humidity.

Bruce said...

That is a lot of critters! Thanks for the visit:)

Crafty Green Poet said...

always wonderful to see the migrants return,

Guy D said...

Great captures of the geese Jenn, thanks for sharing. I added you to my followers list so I can return to your site often to see more of your great photography.

Have a great week!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Sylvia K said...

It is wonderful to see our winged friends back! Great shots! love your commentary! Thanks for sharing! Have a great week!

Erin said...

enjoyed your post so very much, the photos and videos. spring is coming in nicely here in central virginia...though the weather has been quite fickled. yesterday in the 70s and tonight and tomorrow maybe in the mid 40s. and we've wind...and more wind.
have a good week.

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

We keep seeing signs of spring but sure doesn't feel like it.

mannanan said...

Made me feel real cold. We have warm winters in comparison thatnks to the Gulf Stream. Spring is here as well and looking good.Thanks for sharing your world with us.

Arija said...

So nice to see your feathered friends again. Amazing how much we miss them when they are away.