Sunday 8 March 2009

MTM - we're melting


Yes, this is the rumour in MTM.

Spring approacheth.




The warmth of the sun, nearing its spring solstice, heats the land and the rocks. The rocks radiate the heat to near-by ice.

The lake has been melting by day and freezing at night. The rain of a few days ago lay on top. The lake continues to drain as water melts. The ice cracks and heaves with glee.

In the morning the fog was thick. Our dead tree looked eerie. I love the morning fog, as the water evaporates it leaves dancing fog creatures.















It is too bad the tourists have to scream back and forth on high-powered machines. Some zip over open water. I blogged about it. I found a YouTube video demonstrating this stupidity! (he falls in about 1:26 into the video. After 5 minutes they pull it out. Mine, below, shows them our foggy morning and them zipping by our frontage in the afternoon.

10 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

Gee, this is as bad as when I lived near Montreal, to see the ice huts drown when the ice melted in the rivers. The owners never consider they are effectively polluting the water. The skidoos leak petroleum products onto the ice wherever their driver takes them.

David Cranmer said...

I'm heading back north this week so I'm glad to hear it's melting.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Lovely pics. We're done melting-at least temporarily.

Sepiru Chris said...

Jenn Jilks,

Lucky you to have the snow still. Today is a chilly 19°C, but it should go up to a vaguely OK 25°C in a couple of days... And I envy you your snow.

Anonymous said...

Although beautiful, it must be nice to see the snow melt, knowing spring is on its way?

Over at my corner of the world, we await hot season!

Jenn Jilks said...

It was interesting, Barbara, one of my readers commented (from the US) that the municipality charged ice fishers and such $1000/day that their equipment was in the water.

So sad, David, last night we had ankle deep snow. To the south east they had freezing rain overnight.

We are back in the cold. It was a taste of spring. A bit sad to be back in 'winter'. I like the changing seasons. Even our racoon visited last night, out of her hibernation. I fear it will be April before we truly will have our spring.

Travis Erwin said...

Enjoy the thaw and I forgot to add the MTM badge you created but I fixed that in my last edit.

Linda McLaughlin said...

It's great that things are warming up and thawing, but this is a dangerous time on the lakes. Some people have no sense at all.

Thanks for the MTM badge, Jenna. I'll add it to my next post.

Reb said...

Jenn, you got some lovely photos, I sympathize with you on the ski-doos. I watched the linked video and I would have made the owner jump in, he has a good friend there. Too bad they never think about the environment when they pull crap like that.

Thanks for making the badge, I will try to remember to use it next week.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for your compliments. It is difficult finding nice photos. Everything is either white or brown around here.

We expect pouring rain Tuesday night. Poor old Frosty!