Sunday 13 October 2024

Crumbly Acres, we're limping along

 Things are hopping around here. Well, it is Crumbly Acres, we're limping along. Poor Joe put his back out shopping on Friday. Sigh. He suggested it was too late for me to trade him in for two 37-year-olds. Past his best before date! I'm a wreck, too. Our Pink Eye is better. That's a good thing.

Then there is the tech stuff... Before my VISA was compromised, the football TV pooched out on us. This is the room downstairs with the fireplace where Joe goes to watch his teams. I phoned them up and went through the troubleshooting. Nope. Unplug, plug her in, wait 30 seconds: all stuff I'd done before. I tested the box on the other TV and it worked. The assistant said she'd send a technician. Funnily enough, he checked everything, found the cables, it's a bit of a spaghetti mess. He climbed the ladder and found the needle in the hay stack. When we had it fixed last time, he'd stapled through the cord. All the new dude had to do was pull it out and we were good to go. 

As with many in our latitude I have been busy working outside: power washing and edging, and putting the garden to bed. These stones were covered in moss and slippery.


I think that the stones look much better. The fossils are cool. The original house owners made these paths, and I have to look after them. 

Look at my shoes and pants, though! I was cold and soaked, so I sat in the sun eating a fruit salad Joe fetched for me from the fridge before finishing up my work. I was cold and tired, but I didn't want to stop. The next day I started AFTER lunch! 

I did this spot since the bird feeders go here, and with freeze and thaws, there is often a puddle. That is the next chore, once the frost hits, to put out the feeders.

The maple at the end of the driveway keeps getting more and more red.

The deer are on the move.

Power washed and cleaned: 


The water fountain ready for winter weather! It is dried, wrapped with Christmas lights, and secure. It has to be wrapped since the snow collects, melts, freezes and thaws and can wreck the cement. 


Just for fun, our Vancouver grandies are in a panto show in winter. This in between ski lessons, and school! They are busy, bless their hearts. Cluny (with rabbit ears) and Bryony, in front on the right side of Robin Hood, will have so much fun. They did a show last year, and were chosen for the photo ads. 

Meantime, on the acreage. They are having lunch. We ended up seeing 5 of them. They gather together in winter in herds by gender. We usually have females.


I truly believe the critters are looking for the bird feeders. We've had a bunny, Butch raccoon, and the deer. No bears, so far. We must get some bird seed!

  

No comments: