Saturday 18 February 2023

Saturday's Critters

We had a miserable few mm of rain, followed by 3 cm of snow. The walking is better, with the cold, but I am ready for spring. The cats sleep in the sunshine, when they can. They get tired, watching the squirrels out the cat TV window.
My 2nd amaryllis is on it's second set of blooms. Such a bright spot in the window.

A sure sign of spring, a red-winged blackbird, in the falling snow! 

The deer hang around. We counted 15 yesterday.

They are on the move, looking for spring buds to nibble on, like the squirrels.

 

deer friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 Butch was awake: see the one in the tree?! There is one on the ground, as well. I didn't notice it until I'd seen the video a couple of times.


Butch 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It was a better view from this trailcam. They were disappointed, as the 5 red squirrels clean up under the bird feeders. This morning it is -12˚ C. and more like February.

 

Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Chad coyote has been a frequent visitor. They've a deer kill on the lake nearby. People could hear them howling with joy.

Chad Coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I went out and worked on the wood duck nesting box the other day. While out there I spotted our porcupette. More on that in another post. In the meantime: Saturday's Critters # 479 check out Eileen's page for more critter links, near and far.



17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I have been seeing the Red-wing Blackbirds here too, I think they may not have left this winter. I always love seeing your critters, especially the deer.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...it sure seems early to see a red-winged blackbird.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Another enjoyable post! Hope the weather improves soon. Nice view from the window.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sad deer, waiting for food. As are all the critters (except the birds and squirrels)

RedPat said...

I always think the the Red-tailed Blackbird means spring is here but I have never seen one in February.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know you'll be happy to have some sun and warmer temps. Always love catching up with your sightings. I love the deer!

Olga said...

Wow, red wing blackbirds already!

Anvilcloud said...

Those bad squirrels.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love all your critters. The deer of course but also your big raccoons.
They are big. Coyotes are kind of spooky. It is almost like it senses your trailcam.

Cloudia said...

That is a bright spot. Indeed! Much like you yourself

Anvilcloud said...

I don’t know if this FB link of action at an Ontario bird feeder will work for you. But here it is — fingers crossed.

https://fb.watch/iM-OrGxEMa/

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see your Amaryllis, and a lovely collection of deer in your third photograph.

Your temperatures still seem cold to me.
My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Red said...

That's a lot of critters in your neighborhood at night. Deer are present in the day , but where are the other critters?

William Kendall said...

Lots of company around the house for you.

Adam Jones said...

I do like your Blackbirds.

Kay said...

I can see how hard winter much be for the woodland creatures. The coyote and raccoons look well fed though.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn, :=)
Lovely shot of all the deer, blackbird, and all your nighttime visitors. It sure looks cold, but your cats have the right idea.Nice shot of them looking cosy indoors,