Tuesday 21 February 2023

Bird watching

We are expecting more snow Wednesday/Thursday. Maybe 10 cm. We shall see. In the meantime, it is spring out in Vancouver. Jesse sent a photo of the girls with blooming snowdrops! It's wild, across the country. They have recovered from another bout of COVID. 

 It's been chilly. OK, cold. I am happy to feed the critters. We had icy rain, followed by snow. It wasn't pretty. I couldn't shovel the sidewalk or driveway, as the snow stuck to the ice. I gave up! It has since melted and I cleared it off. More is on the way, however. An Alberta clipper preceded by a Colorado low!

OK, back to our reality: the birds.


 Under the feeder we have friends. They have little tunnels, and pop out suddenly. I love the little paws tucked in. They look as if they are fretting, but they are aggressive.

The mourning doves nestle in the evergreen tree.

The blue jay took a drink.

Then it proceeded to land on the tray feeder.


I love this set. Blue Jay kept throwing the cracked corn aside, looking for the sunflower seeds.



I did have a great sighting: a red-winged blackbird.



The poor blackbird in the snow! This is an early sighting.

16 comments:

Tom said...

...you are attracting a wonderful gang of birds.

Anvilcloud said...

I had a post on FB that went something like this.
“When you think winter has left, it comes storming in the door, saying, ‘And anther thing …’ “
That’s the gist of it anyway.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful to be visited by the red winged blackbird. I've never heard of them coming to feeders before! And he was so hungry he ate with a dove.

RedPat said...

The critters must love your place.

Karen said...

I wonder if the squirrels have had their babies yet? I haven't been able to get a good look to see if any of our visitors are lactating.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh those wee girls are growing fast! And I love that short clip of the Redwing - a handsome bird. YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful variety of birds. The little girls are cute. Take care, have a great day!

DrumMajor said...

Beautiful birdies! You're getting way too much winter. Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

I get so frustrated that the blue jays don't come to my feeder. I must investigate different feeding methods! And your girls -- adorable!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a wonderful variety of birds, lovely to see.

I liked the photograph of the girls and snowdrops :)

All the best Jan

Christine said...

The grandies growing up so fast

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...


Beautiful grandchildren.
So nice to see the snowdrops peeking up.
Fun to see a variety of birds at your feeder.

Ontario Wanderer said...

There are Red-Wings in the Hamilton area but not here, 20 km west of the centre of Hamilton.

Lorrie said...

Love the Bluejay and the Red-Winged Blackbird. The latter hang out around the bog where I walk some days, and I love hearing their voices. Very melodious.
We're in for some chilly weather this week, too. All the snowdrops, crocuses and other bulbs will be shivering!

Patio Postcards said...

WOW that is an early sighting of the RedWinged Blackbird - I was wondering was he hiding out in the woods or could it be Wiarton Willie was correct?!! (col). Our neighbour says Robins never sent south, they hid out in evergreen forests where the insects in the trees were easier to access.

Divers and Sundry said...

Bird-watching! Such a joy :) I haven't used my tray feeder in a while. It may be time to try it again.