Wednesday 15 February 2023

Dratted Red Squirrels!

 I think spring will be early this year. I spotted mosquitos down by the frog pond. The brown creeper was another sign. I decided to work on the nest box. The ducks come and check out the wetland. I want to be ready.

I went back to the rehung nest box Sunday, and screwed in the hex, and stapled the baffle to the tree. The wood across the face of it is looking pretty rotten. There is a slit all the way down from the top to the bottom. I'll have to remember to try patch it somehow. Although truthfully, they nest in dead trees otherwise! The hole is carefully sized for wood ducks. I hope the piece doesn't fall out. 

 


The baffle is supposed to prevent squirrels, weasels, and raccoons from getting into the boxes. The bears are another story. The weasel hopped across the canopy and destroyed the eggs one year. I may regret the placement, but we shall see. Soon, I'll put a trailcam up in front and watch the actions.


I noticed a red squirrel who appears to be pregnant. There were 4 of them out front, and she chased another one away. A 5th squirrel was out back near the deer feeder. They are prolific but, as JB pointed out, they have a lot of predators. 

  

pregnant squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The squirrels are also eating things like leaf buds. This was a Bala squirrel from 2009.  They really are pretty little things. Also, aggressive!

This is the nest they created in this nest box, called a drey, in July 2015. They got into the wood duck boxes. The wood ducks are finished nesting in July. The squirrel moved in.

 

You can see the babies deep down in the nesting materials. They are furless!


Finally, I thought I needed a haircut. Ya think This was after I'd been tromping outside, getting sweaty in a ball cap. 


I am on hair stylist #4 since COVID. It's always a crap shoot. I was quite pleased! It was a nice, quiet Tuesday in the salon. That was a bonus. 

I had a new respite client in the afternoon. That went fairly well despite having some chest pains from stress.  We brought dinner in. I was pretty fried, mentally, physically, and emotionally. 

15 comments:

Tom said...

...squirrels are cute pests.

Olga said...

Your haircut is really becoming -- you maybe found a winner with #4.
Red squirrels can be cute but they can also be very destructive.

RedPat said...

I have never seen a pregnant squirrel.

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice collection of squirrel shots. I kind of like them...furry tails are cute. I love your new do! Very chic!

Christine said...

Nice haircut!

Divers and Sundry said...

"Evil demon squirrel" is all one word around here. They are destructive in our townhome community, preferring attics to every other option. Daddy called them tree rats, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

Ah, well, not every native animal can be a chickadee ;)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That was a very pregnant squirrel. Never saw one pregnant before.

Your hair looked better than mine when I went in to get mine cut on Monday. I think it's been six months for me. I like your style. It fits your face nicely.

William Kendall said...

Those squirrels are adorable.

Red said...

I don't have any love for the red squirrels. They are smarter than I am and are a nuisance around my place.

River said...

Haircut? Nah! Just clip a giant pink bow into it like parents did back in the 50s. Ha Ha.
The new cut does look very nice.

DrumMajor said...

I've never seen a prego squirrel, but I guess they get that way! Can you put a baffle above the duck box too? Maybe just super glue gelling a piece of wood over the cracks. I'd hate for my maternity ward to lose an entire wall! Linda in Kansas

Patio Postcards said...

New hair do is stunning.

Squirrels!!! We have all three types, reds, black & greys. I find the reds & greys the most aggressive but the blacks always seem to want to be friends & become quite regular at the windows to check in on the cats.

Anvilcloud said...

Wheelers has already done their first boil.

DUTA said...

Nice haircut! It suits your face structure.

DeniseinVA said...

It feels good to get a haircut, looks lovely! Always enjoy the squirrels. We just get the Eastern squirrels here.