Friday 10 February 2023

Mice friends, and cats

 That was a lovely day day! I eased into it. A short workout, then a long snowshoe. I was looking for a good place to put my old wood duck nesting box. The snow is awful to walk on. 

I love old age. I totally forgot that I had videotaped the cats in their carriers. I told that story Wednesday. You can listen to their wailing and gnashing of teeth! Nutmeg is a beast!

grumpy cats go to the vet from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

As long as we are on the subject of cats, here are their Mice Friends!
 

mice friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Every morning they go out for awhile and do Mice Friends Cat patrol! 


Firstly, a funny story. I began growing new sprouts. As I picked it up to refresh the water, my hand slipped. There were seeds EVERYWHERE: on the counter, the floor, in the sink. Little, teeny, tiny seeds underfoot, crunching as I walked on them. I think I swore. I probably did. 


Our temperatures have been mystifying. It was -30˚ C. last Saturday. Wednesday, it was 7 degrees above C. The sidewalk was nicely melted. No slippy dippies heading towards the car. 


Thursday we had busses cancelled, with an ice rain warning. As we do today, as well. We had a day of rain (23 mm/ 0.9") on top of the snow cover. It is wicked walking, and the temperature is supposed to fall.

I went down to The Point. A Pileated Woodpecker has been looking for insect friends! I was sussing out a new spot for the nest box, and couldn't find one. 

I spotted a brown creeper on a tree. This is an archive photo, since it was on the move creeping up the tree and slipped away.


Then there are the deer beds. It is delightful seeing where they have rested. They chew their cud and watch for coyotes.

If you look closely, you can see the coyote tracks. I was anxious to get the memory cards onto my laptop.


coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
D'ya think Coyote was testing out all selfie angles?!! 😂 And there is absolutely no guessing where the climate is going on any given day... YAM xx

Tom said...

...Pileated Woodpeckers sure can do a job on a tree!

Anvilcloud said...

He sure didn’t like in there. 😀
Nice archive photo.

Barbara Rogers said...

Somehow I don't think your cats are considered "mousers". The weather is certainly changeable these days. We're maybe going to get freezing rain tomorrow. The snowflakes on the weather forecasts here are now just laughed at. It's been a very snowless winter here. I hope the ski resorts have plenty of manufactured snow.

Divers and Sundry said...

Finding where the deer have spent their downtime must be interesting. I would have expected more hidden spots.

The woodpecker has done a number on that tree! I've never seen a brown creeper. I have seen coyotes but not within walking distance of our townhouse.

Our weather has been up and down, too, but of course much higher highs and lows than you get.

Nancy J said...

The coyote was wary of something, love the bushy tail. Cats to vets, not one of ours has liked the trip, and coming back home are always much happier.

RedPat said...

The weather has been so crazy this winter. Once again we have no snow left.

Lorrie said...

Sunshine and relatively warm weather here today although I hear it's going to get colder again. It's been known to snow in February, so winter's not done yet. Those cats sound most unhappy!

William Kendall said...

Did they get even with you for the carrier fiasco?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought I was losing my mind when I saw the cats in the carriers. I thought had I skipped a post? Then I read it was NOT me. Funny and laughable. They were NOT happy campers.