Monday 20 February 2023

Porcupette, deer and a drawing

Working on the wood duck nesting box repairs, going back to the garage, I looked up. They are such interesting creatures. This one was up a tree near where I was working on the nesting box. Can you see the small, round shape?! I am always happy when our critters reproduce. It show that our habitat is suitable. 



I said goodbye, and headed back to put away my tools in the garage.


Porcupette from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I first spotted Charlie, the porcupette, in October:

baby porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The photos aren't great, with the cloudy day. I love watching them. Here are photos from another season! I found a dead one, and was fascinated with their claws that hold them up in trees blowing in the wind.




We had 18 deer Sunday morning. Except for Clover, whom I met in the forest, they all disappear in the day.




18 deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I used 'sky blue' to colour the sky, but it didn't scan well, you can only see it at the top. I tried adding colour with Graphic Converter.  (We need colour these days.) Which do you prefer?!

I was inspired by Hodge Podge Craft's free meadow embroidery pattern. I don't think I have the patience to embroider right now. Jocelyn, ever the crafty woman, posted the information and I went with it! Many crafters, artists, and artisans inspire me. Thank you, all. 

13 comments:

Tom said...

..in the Adirondacks, many porcupines never make it across the road.

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, the camera of course didn't see your sky blue...so I like the second one. Really love the bee!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh, new word learned today - procupette! So cute, so the name had to suit, right?

I like both images; the first tends to accentuate the flowers, the second gives a vista and draws greater attention to the bee... YAM xx

Kathy G said...

I didn't know what a baby porcupine was called. Thanks for the education this morning.

Nancy J said...

What a hoot, I downloaded the same pattern, after seeing the link at Jocelyn's blog !!!!! I think I will embroider it, my drawing skills are non existent. I like the top version without too much blue sky. You still have a lot of snow, there is a cold snap coming to NZ, and snow in the far south is predicted.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I like the one with the blue sky -- and what a great idea, both versions, the way you used that pattern. Porcupines really are interesting creatures. Do you put out salt? I've always heard that they need a lot of that. Probably an old wives tale (but that's what I am, so I'll believe it ;>)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

What a fascinating creature, we don't have them here in the UK. I didn't realise that they climb trees.
I prefer the picture without the blue.

DrumMajor said...

I didn't know porcupines got up in trees! I think it's stuck like a cat too high in a tree. Thanks for educating us with your videos. They look like cute balls of fur. Bet they're a little cranky though. I like your top drawing best. Linda in Kansas

DeniseinVA said...

You see a lot of wonderful wildlife in your area. That porcupine is really something. I liked the first drawing of flowers best but both are pretty.

Red said...

Porcupines get a bad press. they are interesting critters.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Great photo of the porcupine foot and claws!

William Kendall said...

Porcupines are fascinating.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard the word porcupette before. Fun! Another animal I never see here.