Saturday 25 February 2023

Saturday's Critters

It has been cold, snowy, cloudy, sunny. Mostly we watch our deer friends. 

I have been bird watching at the feeder. (See yesterday's post for those!) It has been hit and miss for critters. The American Crows seldom come close to the house. This one came by, headed for the feeders. 



 

Let's us begin with some energy!

fawn zoomies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

They are called a 'fawn' until they are a year old. Their 2nd year, they are called yearlings.

That's the way to start the day! The herd moves a little more slowly.

deer herd from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

doe and squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The deer is as curious as it is concerned, stamping its hooves in warning. Sometimes they will do this to me, and I just stamp back! This must be a fawn!

This was during our recent snow storm. They are hardy critters! Thick fur, coarse coats!

deer in storm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

deer friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

They are headed for the bird feeder or the spring lilac shoots.

Thanks to Eileen for hosting! Saturday's Critters # 480



17 comments:

Tom said...

...you sure got a lot more snow than we did.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful deer videos, they are so cute, love them! Great captures of the Crow! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I am not sure why, but I really loved watching the deer in the snowstorm... but I just love watching all your critters! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

What a deer posting! Ha ha. I loved the fawn who zooms much as a kitten does...without reason, just for the fun of it. Deer in the storm looked thoughtful, and gave me a Zen moment.

Christine said...

Snowing here this morning.

Mae Travels said...

That is incredibly cold!

Good luck staying warm and safe… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

RedPat said...

You are lucky to have the deer to keep you amused on such a cold day.

Anvilcloud said...

I was surprised at how cold it got last night. I haven’t been paying attention, so it took me unawares. Not that it matters.

Cloudia said...

So delightful to visit you Jenn

Shiju Sugunan said...

Hardy critters indeed! Nice videos and pics.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is SO cold! But you have some beautiful photos to share. Stay warm this weekend!

Hena Tayeb said...

We have tons of deer in our area as well. I didn't know they are called yearlings after they turn one.

Ontario Wanderer said...

How wonder full to have deer for entertainment!

Red said...

the deer provide you with constant entertainment.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I love the little crows. I sometimes see deer when driving into town, but I've never spotted a fawn.
It seems I just can't help making puns even when I'm not trying to!
That temperature is c-c-c-cold! Now I feel like a wimp for not wanting to go out when it was sitting at 5 degrees Fahrenheit. My asthma doesn't appreciate temps much below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Winter is a challenge for all creatures, of course, but our confiding crows seem to accept us more each day and come regularly to see what's on offer. I thought we might lose them while we were away in Cuba, but that seems not to be the case. Won't be long before they'll have breeding on their minds so we'll see what happens then.

Divers and Sundry said...

There are crows nearby, and we see and hear them from the house, but they don't come onto the patio for food no matter what we put out. Hope springs eternal, though...