Saturday 14 September 2019

Critter time

We range from small to large!

I know AC does some lovely photography, and I thought of him as I realized the difference between these photos. Mind you, it wasn't on purpose. My cataracts worsen as I await surgery. I'm happy with the autofocus most days. Which do you prefer?


The Question Mark chrysalis under the stove vent eclosed today, too! It's a bit dark, as we are having rain.

I'm so sad, this monarch isn't viable. I found it on the ground. Placing it on a food source, the phlox, I left it be.

Hooper has had a bit of an incident! He has a scratch on his nose...

These are screen captures from videos. We still have monarchs pushing through, several to emerge. This one was flying around the yard.


The turkeys grazed the back yard for us. They are all about a lot of the time.


And now, the videos!
I'd watched trailcam videos of the turkeys, and they were quite quiet. Suddenly, there was a capture of them clucking at the forest. I wondered what was giving them grief!

We've watched these turkey chicks go from small to nearly adult-sized. I love how the females watch over their combined broods, and the males waltz around without worries!


I'm loving how the trailcams capture different moments in the secret life of our forest dwellers. The fox thought it got away – just a blur on trailcam #1, but it appeared on trailcam 2!


I was out in the backyard, filling the fountain, and spotted a doe, followed by two fawns. I was disappointed, as I couldn't figure out where they had gone. I rushed over to the top of the hill, above the meadow, and they seemed to run on the other side. Then, recovering the trailcam footage, there they were!


The butterflies are grabbing the last of the pollen.


Feeder action: this is the silly mourning dove that perched here for a long time. It ignored the blue jays.

Our big buck was curious about the trailcam.

For more critters...

Saturday's Critters # 300

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Awesome collection of videos and critters. I love the deer and those turkeys are cool. What a great sighting. Beautiful Monarch! Thank you for sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anvilcloud said...

AC has a cataract developing too. Sniff.
Not too bad yet though.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Always look forward to your critters posts, Jenn, as you have an abundance! YAM xx

Out To Pasture said...

As always, your Critter Captures are wonderful. Hooper certainly has a fun filled, adventurous life!

Hootin Anni said...

Loved the doe & fawn video...but all are super. You have an active 'back yard'...full of wonderment.

Christine said...

too bad it's getting cooler out.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know you will be glad to get the surgery done. It's hard to tell the difference on my computer! Love your trail cams of course! Happy weekend!

Bernhard said...

Nice pictures. Like them.
My contribution: https://deramateurphotograph.de/2019/09/13/079-sonnar-f2-8-180mm-bilder-mit-der-sony-a7r-2/

Have a nice weekend.

Bernhard

William Kendall said...

You wonder what Hooper got into.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenn what a wonderful post I enjoyed looking at your lovely pics,we don't have deer in Australia so it was lovely to see your pics,what a beautiful part of the world you live in,Thankyou for sharing my friend xx