Tuesday 10 September 2024

New plants!

 My lovely, thoughtful daughter Caitlin was out at the nursery last Friday and sent me photos. How she remembered, I don't know! I've been looking for a tree hibiscus for a year. They are everywhere, and provide some fall colour. Someone had to ID it for me, as I was seeing them all over the place but didn't know what they were.

I noted the location and thought about it. A drive on a torrentially rainy day. What the heck! 

We set off Saturday morning. We had over an inch of rain Saturday. It was ridiculous. 

The drive along highway #7 is awful. People treat it as a Nascar track. This dude passed us on a double line, on a bridge, in the rain. You can check this post for other car incidents of dangerous driving along highway #7 from Friday. 



Cottage country... gray skies, but we were on a mission.

Bridge to nowhere?

Autumn seems to be early. The leaves are turning way too fast. Mind you, it was an early spring.



I spotted lots of these shrubs around the area. It's sort of the last blooming before fall. They are tree hydrangeas, and it took awhile to figure out their names. 


In Perth: 

I have always admired this garden:



We made it. It was raining, but I'm not made of sugar.

This tall one was $250, even with the 25% off I was worried about spending that much on it. I don't know if the deer like them!


I stuffed them in! They rolled around some, but they were fine. I did have to wash the mat!


Here is my haul! A tree Hydrangea, Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus, and a 4th, but I forget what it is!



I am hoping to plant a couple today. It's cool, but sunny. I was thinking, at 3 a.m., about where to place them. I think I have a plan! 



16 comments:

Tom said...

...7 years ago when I was in the nursery business we sold that tree hydrangea for #75.00US!

Kathy G said...

Lovely, and worth all the trouble getting to the nursery.

Jeanie said...

New plants are always a treat and you nabbed some gorgeous ones. It will be fun to see them in another year or so as they settle in!

Anvilcloud said...

I hope the fall planting works for you. As for hwy 7, what is there left to say?

Barbara Rogers said...

That's a beautiful group of shrubs, tree, plants! You all are great adventurers to go through rain and the gauntlet of stupid drivers to get these.

tz_garden said...

Beautiful, and I hope they taste terrible to deer. Nice haul of plants!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope it lives and blooms for you! It is a beautiful plant! It takes a long time to get it to form to just one stem that is why they are so expensive. :)

RedPat said...

Your garden will look beautiful. I hope the deer don't like them.

DeniseinVA said...

Thoughtful of your daughter and so nice to see your purchases. Also enjoyed the sights along the way. I get very nervous on our freeways and always glad to get back home. Lovely to end off with those geese in flight. Always a thrill to hear them honking overhead.

DrumMajor said...

Pretty! Linda in Kansas

Hena Tayeb said...

So pretty. They will be worth it when every time you look at those beauties and they make you smile.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful autumn. Those are dramatic skies as well. I'm glad you're out and about and feeling well enough. Autumn in the Northern latitudes is a foreign land to me of course, but then there they were the hibiscus. I hope they bring you a lot of pleasure, my friend. Aloha

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful things. Our spring is early here. I hope that summer isn't.
We have tree dahlias though not tree hibiscus. It is touch and go each year whether they will flower before the frost cuts them down. Good luck with your planting.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

beautiful flowers ... what a quick time lately ... i am falling behind on comments and other suchness ... hope you are well. getting this or that done. take care this rest of your week we do have going on. bye for now. hugs. ( ;

Ontario Wanderer said...

Drivers are worse and worse. I do take my bicycle on the roads at all and worry as I drive my car. Yes, passing on hills and curves and in the rain, etc.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful choices, I love the hydrangea! Take care, have a great day!