Monday 9 September 2024

Fall chores

 🍁Fall chores <= there be a few!

It took me a couple of months to repair the tank. I am pretty confident it isn't leaking anymore.
First, I partly filled the tank. It is cold well water, and takes time to warm up to room temperature. Over the next couple of days, the water has to balance itself out and the cloudiness disappears. Next, the goldfish pond needs to be drained, and the three (I hope) goldfish have to be netted and brought in. Finally, I hope for a rain to refill the pond from the water barrel and the eaves. 



The gutter was overflowing during the 24 mm (1") of rain. I hauled my big butt up the ladder (in between clouds), and onto the roof. Oh my! Three or four leaves were blocking it. It was a sweet sound when it drained. Gutter Guards don't work with the heavy downpours we get. I've tried a brush-like insert, but it blocks at the end. 

Somebody was in the frog pond. I'm not sure if the muskrat came back. Maybe Butch Raccoon?

Sept. 6th – This home is coming along. <= watch their progress. I am silently cheering them on.

Sept. 8th, a poor hummingbird was trying to feed on the roses, but the wind was blowing them so hard! It was a moving target.



More chores. The trailcam was cloudy with condensation. Not good.

I had to take it apart to let it dry out. The other one, the same brand, sits on a tree. It isn't as prone to water dumps! 

Garbage is out. The sun is rising. We're going to go up from 9 to 20℃ today. I'd best plant or plan for my new plants! More on those tomorrow. 

10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Good catch of little hummingbird! And soon to catch the goldfish for their winder home...very nicely mended! (And I do know how much work that took!)

Tom said...

...Jenn, you have so many things going on that maintenance is HUGE issue! We had a hummingbird visit yesterday, I wonder how long they will stick around?

RedPat said...

I hope the goldfish have survived.

DeniseinVA said...

Always impressed with how much you get done around there. How wonderful to see your hummingbird. Good to see the new home going up. Thank you for the very important reminder about fire alarms. Their fire must have been horrifying to wake up too.

Elephant's Child said...

Our temperatures are similar today. We are going from 2 to 20C today. Chores never go away do they?

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Oh I hate climbing up ladders to check on gutters. Leaves don't block our gutters too much here.

Karen said...

The seal went on my oldest trail camera. We took it all apart to dry out but there is corrosion. I ordered another one, ON SALE. It is an upgrade from the other two as well.

Red said...

Your aquarium looks great.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ladders scare me! We have a steel roof with no gutters...so that is one good thing. Yes I should make a list of the Fall jobs. Warm this week so not much may happen around here.

Kay said...

I'm so glad you were able to repair your tank. You are so good at repairing everything around your home.