Sunday 8 September 2024

Busy as bees

The flowers are doing their best to shine in the last warm days. The first is my planter. The next is the last of the hibiscus for the year. I think.


I spotted a hummingbird feeding on the rose, but I was too slow lazy to get up and try for a photo! 



🐸  Moving the froggiesNov. 19th, 2023 a.m.    –   moved  3        = 144
Every year the green frogs and leopard frogs move into the goldfish pond when temperatures cool down. They are caught and transferred into the frog pond, which is deeper and a more stable winter home. I missed about 7 last year, and they rose to the surface of the pond (dead) in spring. 😢

Jeremiah Bullfrog seems to be keeping them at bay this year. That is a relief. He has grown. He's in for a shock when I have to drain it to find the goldfish!



The insects are flying around like mad. The wasps are busy trying to have last feeds. It makes sitting on patios somewhat treacherous. 

We had a massive rain. The bees under the sidewalk were locked out! I felt badly for them.


The bees under the sidewalk are busy as... bees!




This was fun to photograph. I headed off to the shed to do a lawn tractor run, and found it on the ground. If course I had to show Joe and take a photo. They have poisonous pokey bits, and one must be careful.


This is what they look like stretched out. I found a pair one year. 

This is what the adults look like:

Female Io - Automeris io moths,


Off I went to have a hair cut and chose to drive along highway #7. That might have been a mistake. There have been 3 fatal incidents along here recently. Over the years, people treat this as a 400-series highway, and often do 100+ km/hr. 

It was rush hour, or the hour when contractors rush back to base (3 p.m.). Two vehicles tried to pass me from a left turn lane. What's with this? This guy tailed me from a long distance, and finally did it through an intersection. I was doing 92 in an 80 km zone. (14:39 hours)




This pair, in the Optima truck, tried to pass twice in such a lane. Finally, he made it in a more suitable location. They tailed me several times, trying to peer into my back seat. I have complained to the company. I ought to get a rear view dashcam. (It was 14:43 hours.)

10 comments:

DrumMajor said...

Mean little caterpillars! Uh, don't think I've ever driven 92 mph. Be careful. Linda in Kansas

Barbara Rogers said...

I say a little thank you to the bees each time I put a spoonful in my coffee in the morning. Of course those bumbles don't produce honey. My goodness, can't a woman drive to and from getting a haircut these days? All those very very sad bucks, just showing off to one another...and of course being the shaky foundation for more accidents. I know some who work on the clock (mis-typed as cock) just figure a straight-away means cover it as fast as they can. There are no answers, as you don't exactly have alternate routes to take.

Nancy J said...

I would have big trouble with those busy wide roads, but if you grow up with them and travel on them so often, you cope very well. Down here spring bulbs are blooming and already the lawn is growing so fast, no doubt all the rain has helped!!!

RedPat said...

I am starting to hate driving especially on the highway.

Elephant's Child said...

If only the froggies knew that they were being moved for their own good. Sigh at the drivers.

Jeanie said...

I hate drivers like that one! Your hair is cute!

tz_garden said...

Woah, and you were hauling. Crazy, I'd be intimidated.

Far Side of Fifty said...

People are driving like idiots! They are not thinking. Stupid people should not be allowed to drive. Glad you are okay.

Patio Postcards said...

Your white Hibiscus is gorgeous, I wish I had the space for one.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely post, and your hair looks super! Wonderful nature around your place, always enjoy. Not the drivers though. They are downright dangerous!