Friday 6 September 2024

Dinner on the patio

 I sat out on the back deck, Sept. 4th, feeling a bit low. The birds are leaving. Flowers are dying off. I am happy not to have the pressure of gardening. I was so sick for the better part of a month this summer. I hope we can both stay well this winter. That said, someone was wheezing in his sleep overnight. 

😷  COVID–19 According to the most recent data from Ottawa Public Health. (Our health unit doesn't have data!)

  • 6 Ottawa residents died of COVID-19 during the first part of August, 
  • 7 people died in July. 
  • The week of Aug. 18, 44 people were admitted to local hospitals with COVID-19, 
  • 15 new and 11 ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks in Ottawa long-term care homes, retirement homes and hospitals.
  • 82% of people admitted to hospital with COVID-19 were over the age of 60. 
There are surges in Whooping Cough, what with the poor uptake in childhood vaccines. Measles is another issue. Oh, sigh. 

I looked up to the skies from the safety of my deck. This plane was strange. I spotted it, couldn't see it on the radar, it did a circle, and came back around. There it was on radar. What is up with this/?


This dude was doing something just weird on both sides of the border.

Joe came outside and suggested we go out for dinner. What the heck! Off we went. I noticed a chair on top of the old silo! ???? 


The Osprey was a bit difficult to film. Can you see it? Soon they will migrate south as this water will freeze over.
Lots of boat action.



I ordered wine, he ordered a virgin caesar. He took a few sips, and said it tasted peculiar. Joe has not had a drink in 22 years. The server thought it was because he didn't stir it up properly to mix the spices. Guess what? She'd put in alcohol, as a matter of habit. She made him a new one, but didn't give him a discount. That was disappointing. It really didn't taste any better, either! 


The last patio selfie for the season:


This is the forecast for Saturday night: snow (pink) in Northern Ontario. Oh yuck.


14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

And suddenly I'm aware that you live in Canada. There have been some US western high elevatiion posts on Facebook with snow. But I'm amazed to think that huge lake (yes I could see the osprey!) will freeze over. That's too bad about your hubby's drink not being satisfactory (one I've never heard of before.) I'm enjoying early fall, but know it probably will be pretty long this year. At least some pretty photos to collect of leaves in color!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I saw the first evidence of the trees turning today... Sigh...it comes around quicker every year. YAM xx

DrumMajor said...

That back and forth flyer is weird. Probably not a sprayer; maybe a photographer for the region records? Linda in Kansas

Shug said...

Oh my goodness Jenn...sounds like your area has been hit hard with covid. The cases that we have had around here have been light, almost like a summer cold. I am so sorry for the loss of all these people and for your friend. Glad you are feeling better, but sometimes covid has a long lasting effect. Praying this is not so for you. That could have been a major mistake for some people...adding alcohol to a non-alcohol drink. They should have compensated you all for it. It is still warm here in Texas so if you get an extra dose of cool temps...send them to East Texas. Hope you all enjoy a nice relaxing weekend.

eileeninmd said...

The view is pretty from the patio! I hope everyone stays healthy this winter. Take care, have a wonderful weekend!

RedPat said...

What a nice treat when you are feeling low. I am worried about covid again and am being more careful about crowded places.

Nancy J said...

Your winter is arriving so quickly. We are still lighting the fire at night, but it goes out during the days, at last. Lovely to go out, but the staff really need to listen to the orders!!!

Anvilcloud said...

Patios will soon be closed. 😔

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad you could go out for dinner - something we haven't done in literally years (mostly covid related).
We are warming up. Too fast for me. I hope you have a gentle winter and that we don't have a blistering summer.

Jeanie said...

I wonder how many more patio dinners we will have this year. It's only in the mid-60s today. I got my new Covid shot the other day. Hooray. I know it's not a guarantee, but maybe it will be a help.

Red said...

You know how hot it is here today? 31 stinkin degrees.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Snow, say it isn't so! We like going to a place where e can eat outdoors:) Those Covid # are not great.

Divers and Sundry said...

People are just pretending like COVID is no longer a concern. It's scary 😢 I'm also concerned that putting alcohol in a drink when a virgin drink was specified wasn't more of a concern for the staff. There are all kinds of reasons that would be a serious concern. Yikes!

tz_garden said...


that flight pattern is sure strange! *The drink should have been on the house!