Thursday 12 September 2024

Back-to-school update, yard chores

I am happy to report that our grandies in Ottawa, Jo and Aster, are doing really well back at school. You know that excitement, when you figure out where your locker will be, who are your teachers, can you find your classes?  I must admit that once I retired I had recurring teacher dreams of not being able to find my classroom, or being late. 

Aster is in early, three times a week, for band (twice) and jazz band practice. She's getting involved in other extra curriculum, as well. 

Jo is happy to go in early with her. He asked for a timetable change, and now is doing a law course instead of French Tutoring. Jo has one asynchronous online class, but he prefers to do it in the school computer lab. They have intranet servers at the school, and can save work both at home and at school to the same platform. 

Jo is co-leading the yearbook (there isn't a staff member to head it), he is doing sports photography for the yearbook (which means missing school for 'away' events), chairing the Leadership Camp (takes place in the new year),  also AV head for assemblies. 

We did a video call after school Wednesday!

They made a crock pot dinner earlier, as Aster had to go out for 5:30, and Jo had a babysitting gig. I suggested they eat together. I was happy to talk to them. Jo has an appointment for a nose ring installation! Oh, young people!!! 

💮The first bush is planted (Tuesday). The leopard frogs are in the grass, they took off to avoid me. 

 

The second one is in and watered: the pink Hibiscus. And the 3rd: Rose of Sharon. 

One more to go. I am a bit achy! It is cool and cloudy today. I'll have to get going! We'll see if they last the winter.

 

Down to visit the trailcams, the motorcycles were jarring in the meadow. 

 

 I think the first clip is the sound of a turkey. Then the Flicker on the ground appears on video. 

 

Walking out onto the back deck, a pair of deer! A lovely way to begin the day.

  

9 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope the deer leave your new plants alone, seems like they can tell when you have been digging in the dirt so they come to investigate!

Anvilcloud said...

I still have those dreams periodically.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow oh all your grandies are up to. I'm very impressed. Hope your pretty new plants do established themselves before winter comes. When is your usual first frost? Ours is sometime next month I think.

tz_garden said...

Back to school is going great for them, fabulous! Lovely to see a pair of deer :)

Nancy J said...

Ah, to have that at your back deck, a huge delight to start any day.

Cloudia said...

You are blessed my dear friend! Thank you for sharing your blessings with us and best wishes to the girl for another exciting academic Year. You are 100% right. No matter how old we get, fall and spring are meaningful because of the school association thing

Elephant's Child said...

Well done on the planting front. I didn't like school and dreaded those early days... Glad your grandies are doing better than I did.

Karen said...

We're in for some pretty warm humid weather over the next week. Summer is giving a last hurrah

Karen said...

It's going to be pretty steamy over the next week. Summer having it's last hurrah.