Thursday 5 September 2024

Back to school!

Media is filled with, and people are reposting, many back-to-school reminders. They are preaching to the choir. 

"In one of those tales from the long weekend, police said they caught a driver watching TikTok."


COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT: Watch your language around young ears at school bus stops


I am grateful I am not teaching. It is so discouraging.

๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’ ๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’ ๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’ ๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’ ๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’ ๐Ÿซ ๐ŸŽ’

The new school year begins for our grandies! Our Ottawa kids posted back-to-school photos. Next year, Jo will be in university! I cannot fathom it! In the meantime, Jo is in Gr. 12, and Aster is in Gr. 9 at the same high school. 

Jo has some heavy high school courses for gr. 12: two maths (including Trigonometry), physics, chemistry, French, and online she is doing Earth & Space Science. Kids are supposed to take two courses online before they graduate. 

Aster is doing Physical Education, French, Instrumental Band (alto clarinet), and several others. Aster is planning on doing school band. She has a tensor bandage on, and is getting physio for her knee. Not a good way to start the year! She hurt it doing Aikido, then re-injured it tromping around Algonquin Park. She has a note to take it easy in gym! 

I texted both teenagers, and they had good first days! Jo's friend drove them in, as they have to secure lockers. Jo was going to help Aster find her classes. 



Our other grandies: Bryony, in Vancouver, is all set for school (Gr. 1), as well as Cluny in Gr. 4! 

  

And the school year begins. I wish them all the best.

Labour Day Monday, began with someone across the street. I took out the garbage at 7 a.m. and shortly thereafter the sound began. The peace and quiet of the country is a myth. Soon the tourists will go home, traffic in town will slow down, and store lines will shorten. This is a relief. 

9 comments:

tz_garden said...

Such wonderful grand children, love the missing teeth picture!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh shoot, I was imagining the sounds to just be insects buzzing away. Maybe I'm jaded as there's a guy outside my window right now with a gas powered trimmer. Not just roar, but flinging things against the building, zip, roar, zap.

Anvilcloud said...

There was that new driver caught going 180 or whatever. His parents' car was impounded. Happy times.

Nancy J said...

Summer crowds, the same down here in popular places. Locals are SO relieved when the tourists or holiday people leave and things go back to normal. School, I remember lockers, queueing for the bus at the end of the school day, biking 1.5 miles on a metal road to where the bus collected us from rural areas. How it has all changed, now most pupils would have their own car if they live so far out of town.And so your grandies are all growing up, university and more.

eileeninmd said...

Fun times! I wish them all a safe and happy school year.
Take care, have a wonderful day!

Elephant's Child said...

I suspect it is more peaceful here in the city for much of the day. I do envy your wildlife though.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

For a time I lived in the Houston, TX area and drove the freeway into town. I've seen people reading newspapers while driving on a crowded freeway at high speed. One day I looked up in my rear view mirror and saw a woman putting her eye makeup on while driving. Just for fun I tapped my brakes and she slammed on hers and almost lost it (forgive me, this was over 40 years ago).

Impressive list of courses the grands are taking. That will serve them well.

I lived in tourist areas growing up. Tourists are a pain in the butt and everybody ignores them and it sure is nice when they go home.

Jeanie said...

I think your OPP is far more effective than our Michigan cops. Rick and I keep saying "Where is Barney when you need him?" (Referring to Barney Fife, the hapless deputy on Andy Griffith's old show!)

Divers and Sundry said...

We're already getting school shootings ๐Ÿ˜ก It's so frustrating that nothing will be done.