Monday 19 October 2020

Fall tails

We are settling in for winter. My next chore is to bring the snowblower up to the garage from the shed, ready to do the driveway. I usually ask my SIL to do this over Thanksgiving, but I forgot! 
JB is off to the dry cleaners to have shirts folded for the winter closet.  

It's time for yummy crock pot meals that simmer all day, chile. Maybe meatloaf! The wood is stacked. I hope I ordered enough... We've the girls next week, we're prepping for that. 

In the evening, in the cold and the dark, we are watching a DVD series called Damages (2007 – 2012), with Glenn Close. Also, there are lots of actors with various roles: Ted Danson, Timothy Olyphant, Judd Hirsch, Martin Short, William Hurt, John Goodman, Keith Carradine, Len Cariou. 
 Damages (season 2) - Wikipedia
It started off with twists and turns and cliff hangers. Season 3 is somewhat darker. We'll see how it goes!

This, I think, is our last tree with leaves!


Some moths still about, but not for long!

Well, it is back. It doesn't seem to come near the house, just circling around the edge of the wetland. 

Fisher Oct 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The trailcam isn't fast. I just caught a shoulder and tail of the coyote. 

trailcam from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The turkey chicks are getting bigger. I wonder if they can fly now. Adults prefer walking, as it takes less energy, but fly to escape our coyotes. 

wild turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I love the porcupines. This is from another year, 2012. 

The porcupine is fattening up for winter. I love its waddle from behind.

porcupine Oct 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

My videocamera is on its last legs, but you can see the critters out the front window! 

doe fawn frontyard from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've been restricting cat time outdoors, although it's not difficult with our rain! It's not a lot, but it sprinkles some. Overnight we had a big rainfall.


Cinnamon is my lap cat!


I don't know if Nutmeg is teething or just bored! 

11 comments:

Tom said...

...all of the porcupines that I see are roadkills in the Adirondacks!

RedPat said...

Nutmeg is looking good!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yup, looks like pure mischief to me! Love how the deer instinctively jumped and then... "meh, it's just Jenn, lets munch"..!!! Am hunkered down in the Hutch; absolutely miserable outside, but I don't care. YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I looked for that series on Netflix but came up empty.

Karen said...

Mike has gone to the neighbours farm to pick up a trailer load of firewood to go into the basement wood room. We have about a cord left to cut and split for next winter too. We seem to get more of this heavy stuff done on the cooler days. Mike is really getting a lot of service calls for folks needing their snow blowers readied for winter now.

Olga said...

These videos are quite entertaining. The deer seemed unconcerned by your presence, or at least very reluctant to stop their snacking.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love your wild and tame life ... what a busy, active homestead you two have. But I am *nowhere* near getting ready for winter. It is a good thing I don’t live where preparations must be made. We will be staying in Oregon this year but we mostly just get cold rain. All we need do is stock up the freezer and pantry just in case we do get snow and don’t want to drive in it ...it won’t last long if we do get it. A little bit different from your winter.

William Kendall said...

A delight to see the cats!

The Furry Gnome said...

I find I'm looking forward to your girls arriving!

Lowcarb team member said...

I always think Autumn is a great time for crock pot meals that simmer all day.

All the best Jan

Ontario Wanderer said...

I have never operated a snow blower. I usually shovel our walk and driveway. Since the driveway is just over 100 metres long it takes over an hour but I always enjoy the time outdoors in the snow. Unfortunately it has not snowed enough during the last two winters to make the job necessary.