Our internet has been a bit wonky. Also, we have a limit, which in times of COVID isn't any fun. We are this far along, Sept. 19th.
I noticed that there were new plans on the Xplornet website. This I had to explore on a different browser, without signing in as a customer. After a long conversation with someone, he tried to pull up our usage, but couldn't. He passed me on to a technician, who checked our speed. It's not great. The deal is, if we cannot get a better signal, we can't get a better, faster upgrade.
They sent us Antennapros, but I didn't get a business card. He took my email address, but messed it up. My last name seems to confuse people.
Friday, Sept. 25
After a week, not hearing from them, I tried to figure out who had phoned. The name of the company didn't come up. I figured it out, they sent an invoice, and I paid half of the cost.
They ordered the new extensions and guide wires Friday, and emailed Friday, Oct. 2nd saying the parts were in, could they come Thursday.
Here is the before!