Saturday 24 October 2020

Cardinal, DRS, fisher

 The cardinals arrived. I don't know where they have been, but they are here! I had some trouble getting photos through the window, but it is proof. I saw the female, but she was off in the lilac bush.




Then, there is the dratted red squirrel (DRS). It was up the tree, taking down the horse chestnuts! Quite proud of itself. The chestnuts are pretty big.

I was on the lawn tractor, and spotted an ailing water snake. I hope it will be okay, I bet it had been run over or something. Perhaps its muscles will recover. It should have been ready to hibernate, though. 

Snake from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Butch is getting plump for winter. It's fun watching them on the trailcam, as it pounces looking for grubs and worms and such.

Butch Oct 20 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I was really excited to see Momma Butch and her two remaining kits. She started with 4.

xxx

Butch momma from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The fisher was back. I suppose we ought to name it, by now. It's a frequent flyer! Here are my sightings:  📹Fisher.

Fisher Oct 21 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We are easing into fall mating season. It was 23 C. yesterday, but a high of 7 today. If you look at the ankle of the deer, you can see they are puffy with hormonal glands. Next, I'll look for deer scrapes. 

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jenn

The Cardinal is beautiful, his red color really pop on the green grass.
The squirrel is cute. I also like the Fisher and the deer videos.
Raccoons can be a pain! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day. Happy weekend to you!

RedPat said...

You have a real zoo there!
Wasn't yesterday's warmth wonderful?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenn, love those trail cam photos. Imagine a fisher! I gave you a well deserved shout out in my last post. Enjoy your Saturday.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You really do have all kinds of critters and now with the leaves coming down, it will be easier to spot them. Love that Cardinal...makes you think of the winter holidays!

Olga said...

you got some great pics of that cardinal. I also get a kick from the trail cams.

Red said...

There are lots of fishers out in the bush but in your area you must be lucky to see one.

Ontario Wanderer said...

We have Cardinals almost daily all year long and, unfortunately some red squirrels too. I've not seen our usual deer for quite a while and wild turkeys only a couple of time all summer and fall. Wish I could see a Fisher some day . . .

Karen said...

My grosebeaks are back. They arrived yesterday with lots of scraping and arguing. I saw one adult feed another! Our neighbour saw a big bull moose back of our house!!!!

Anu said...

Hello. Cardinal is beautiful bird. Great photos. I like these videos.
Take care.

Rain said...

Hey Jenn :) The cardinals are so beautiful, we haven't seen any around here!

Yvonne said...

Amazing videos. Love your collection of critters. Glad you are seeing cardinals. We always have them here.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I can’t get over that you have a fisher as a frequent visitor! They seem so exotic.