Wednesday 21 October 2020

Nests, squirrels, birds

 When the leaves fall,  there is much to spot. This is a black squirrel nest.


This is a teeny, tiny nest, suddenly revealed with the falling of the leaves. I think this is the red-eyed vireo nest. There are several about. They are lovely to spot in spring and summer, but have left us.


The chipmunks, however, live in burrows. I had the zoom lens on, a bit heavy, and had trouble framing the first photo. It was funny. I found that I didn't need my reading glasses to focus the camera. It was a miracle.


Out the front window I spotted 7 mourning doves.

I put out our glass feeder but they are terribly quick! It wouldn't look at me, in the second photo.

Just for fun, I took photos of the trees and the arbour over a couple of weeks. Man, the season is so short! 
We had a windy, rainy day, and I didn't get a final photo...

10 comments:

Tom said...

...wonderful captured of the chipmunk.

Karen said...

I watched a really nice episode of the Nature of Things a few days ago about critters preparing for winter. My Miss Kitty, who doesn't normally watch TV, was quite into watching the chipmunks!

RedPat said...

Love the chipmunk. Chickadees are so fast!

Nancy J said...

Your arbour as those leaves change, truly lovely. Hope you get all those outdoor job s done before it freezes the water and pipes.

William Kendall said...

The acrobatics of squirrels is a delight to watch.

Christine said...

Nice photos.

Red said...

You will also find a few paper wasps nests and some of them are quite large.

DUTA said...

The chipmunks are cute and funny!
Indeed, falling leaves makes it easy to spot all kinds of things ,and take necessary action prior to winter coming.

Rain said...

You glass feeder is gorgeous Jenn! The squirrels are so cute! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Great photographs and lovely colours in the last video.

All the best Jan