Thursday 27 February 2020

Black squirrels, red squirrels

Off I went to the forest. A red squirrel greeted me. They are such a hoot.





There was a lot of action around this group of trees. I'm wondering if the squirrels have nested in the saw-whet owl nesting box.



I finally counted 7 of them!




So, I'm wondering, when I step into my tracks, and the springtails (AKA snow fleas) are gathered there, do I hurt them when I step on them? There must be billions of them!



The meadow



Trailcam tails...



The fisher was back


Butch raccoon was up and about. Just one.
Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

8 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It always amazes me that when a little red squirrel and a much larger black or grey squirrel get into a scrap the red squirrel always wins!

Christine said...

Signs of spring, squirrels.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

You do see a variety of squirrels there. we only have the plain gray squirrel here. The Fisher is a cool critter. Enjoy your day!

RedPat said...

Love those cute red squirrels. I saw some chipmunks out & about this week.

Karen said...

I'm noticing the red squirrels are seeking out their winter stores. They have the sunflower seeds buried in the flower pots.

Tom said...

...I had never seen a black squirrel until I visited Ottawa.

Anvilcloud said...

The reds are so cute and cheeky.

William Kendall said...

Black or red, squirrels are always going to be devious but cute.