Monday 17 February 2020

Project Feeder Watch

It was supposed to be the great big birdwatcher challenge over the long weekend. (Monday is Family Day in some provinces.)

I'm seeing mostly the same early winter birds.

I submitted my regular bird sightings (see the screen capture). It seems as if the late winter birds haven't shown up. (Cardinals, evening grosbeaks, and the like.)



We haven't any cardinals, yet. Nor evening grosbeaks.
I've heard the pileated woodpecker a lot.


We've gone on snowy owl photography trips. These are real winter bird treats. I can't stand them anymore, though. There are too many unethical birders at the spots where the snowies hang out.


The barred owl has been in the forest, I found some owl pellets, but haven't seen it.


One year we had a flock of robins overwinter.

Feb. 14, 2016

We were off to the auction house Friday, the 14th with the girls.

This was so fast, and you can't really see them, but there was a flock of snow buntings beside the highway. They rose up en masse. I guess you'll have to trust me. It was quite exciting!

snow buntings from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I've only photographed one snow bunting, who seemed to have lost its flock.



I've mapped the location, as I've passed by and have seen a flock along here before. Maybe I need to do a field trip!

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Beautiful birds and photos. I love the cute Snow Buntings. It is a shame there are those unethical birders. Or are they photographers, they seem to ruin things for people who follow the rules. Have a great day and a happy new week!

Anvilcloud said...

Does the dearth of late-winter birds presage a late spring?

Tom said...

...lots of activity, I hope that my grandson is attending to my feeder while I'm gone.

Christine said...

Lovely bird photos! Happy Family Day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yes, a field trip I say!!! YAM xx

RedPat said...

You have a nice variety of birds at the feeders!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

an owl??! well, i'll bee ... now that is so cool. i keep seeing eagles ... not sure if it is the same one or not? but so fun. i wish i could get a picture of it ...but at least i am super lucky to see it with my eyes. ( :

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely birds ... I’m sure they’ll be back soon. Amazing to see owls! I’ve only been that lucky twice in my life ... and never a snowy. What do the unethical birders do?

Karen said...

I can one chocolate all weekend. What a disappointment.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos. Sorry about the unethical birders.

Lovely particularly to see the snow buntings, we get them here too, they breed in the Scottish mountains and come to the coast in the winter, though I've only seen them once.

Christine said...

These are horrible times Jenn. Thanks for the virus update.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such beautiful birds and lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

The dove is a welcome sight.