Tuesday 25 February 2020

Narrows Lock Road: swans!

Our otter trip gave us a bald eagle. We went off to Narrows Lock to see if we could see some more birds. On top of the Rideau Ferry bridge, I could see an ice fishing hut.



Here is the turn.



YES! It was a mild day, but it was REALLY cold in the middle of the lock area. The wind just whipped across that cold ice to the other end of the water.



The water rushes through from Westport, northeast through the Big Rideau.




There they were, 7 swans. After a bit of research, I think they could be trumpeter or tundra swans. Both have black beaks, with a bit of colour (red or yellow). My photos really aren't good enough to tell which.

9 comments:

Olga said...

You have some wonderful photos of the swans and surrounds.

Tom said...

...I must say that a bit of sun sure sets off the landscape!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful swans, great series of photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great week ahead.

Nancy J said...

When you say it is cold, it must be really freezing. The swans are regal, graceful and so beautiful.

Red said...

Swans were a great sighting. They are a very majestic species.

Anvilcloud said...

I don’t find myself greatly attracted to The Narrows at this time of year, but I bet you enjoyed getting out and about.

Are the Mutes the same as what I called the Tundra swans on my post?

Kay said...

Those swans are so beautiful. It’s amazing how they can stand the freezing weather.

Linda said...

Trumpeter swans have the black beaks. We've been our viewing large flocks of them lately, migration seems to have started.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots of the swans.