Monday 20 June 2022

Red-eyed vireo, frogs, house wrens

Snuggle Bears presented JB with a new t-shirt for Father's Day. I bought it from the Legion's Poppy Store.


Jesse and Cluny phoned and left Grampa Joe a Happy Father's Day message! That was sweet.

We had a lovely Facetime with the Ottawa kids. Josephine has 7 days of school left. Five next week, and Monday/Tuesday the following week. I'm not sure how much they will get done. Isabelle has to go for two more days than her sister. I reminded them of the times Caitlin would finish high school before her brothers, and spend a week with my parents in Bala. They went strawberry picking after Jos finished some homework. 

What a surprise! I was coming in the house, heard them singing, and a pair of red-eyed vireos were having fun in the dead Catalpa tree. 



The red-eyed vireo photo was from my archives, for reference.


It was a difficult viewpoint, the video captures their songs, at least. It was quite entertaining.

red-eyed vireos from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Friends... well, cohabitants. I am surprised that Percy doesn't nibble the Leopard frog's toes. BTW: I dug the goldfish pond in 2011, River, and it was a process!

I cleaned out some foliage on the middle deck, pruning the tree I found a little friend.


The House Wrens nesting in the Bluebird box on the flagpole are doing pretty well. I think there is another pair, and they were scarce when they were replacing the eavestrough. 

I so love their little song. This predates the eavestrough installation. They were choosing which nest box!

House Wren from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

18 comments:

Tom said...

...you can never have too many frogs!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Nature's orchestra - can't be beat! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Great frog pic. Have a good week.

Gaelyn said...

I guess the frogs move back to your pond on their own. Nice bird song.

Christine said...

Happy Belated Fathers Day to JB

RedPat said...

How nice of the snuggle bears to get a Father's Day gift for JB.

Yvonne said...

Such a nice area to enjoy the out-of-doors. Love the videos and photos, especially the leopard frog and your friend in the tree. Wishing you a lovely week.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for sharing the wildlife around you. Love those songs.

DeniseinVA said...

A Facetime with family is always wonderful! Snuggle Bears look very patriotic, and the flags and others warm the heart. Looking around your garden is always a treat with its nature, both in photo and video :) I always leave smiling. Thank you Jenn :)

William Kendall said...

A handy perch for a frog.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn .. we have the House Wrens too and love their songs ... now if only I could get some frogs to cooperate in coming and singing for me .. my back garden would be absolutely heavenly ! LOL
Great video/audio .. House Wrens are such quick little things.

Red said...

Those darn house wrens make it tough for everybody else.

Cloudia said...

So nice. All of it

River said...

Is that your own pond? I've never seen a leopard frog.

Patio Postcards said...

I like that new Canada t-shirt. I must get my "stuff" out for Canada Day & start decorating. You get such a variety of birds. I still remember a story about Jenny House Wren that my Gran use to read to us.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My new challenge now will be to have a Red-eyed Vireo land on my hand.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely post, especially the video of the wren - what a sweet little bird and such a nice song!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never seen a red-eyed vireo, and I've never seen a leopard frog in the wild. I feel like I've been on a field trip. Cool!