Monday 13 June 2022

Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour 2022

 Every year they have June Bike Month. The green route goes past us. The local tour was scheduled to leave Perth at 9 a.m., and I toddled down with my zoom lens and videocamera, tripod and monopod. 

The people were diverse: younger, older; serious athletes and lots chatting friends; all shapes, colours and sizes, and most having fun. 

I was careful not to scare them, as some were totally focused on the road ahead and didn't see me. I waved and many waved back and smiled, told them to have fun. It was a lovely sunny day.

It is a huge tour, and costs run around $300 to participate. You can purchase accommodations in Kinston, and be given meals, as well. 

I spotted a number of people cycling INTO Perth, and I'm not sure if they had left Ottawa, and rather than going along the pink route, they ended up in Perth. Or if it was on purpose!

One cyclist, in a yellow jersey, stopped to chat. He asked if I was the official tour photographer. No, I told him, I just enjoy cheering people on. He wanted to know what I was going to do with the photos, and I said that I'll put them on my blog – that I chat with people around the world and share what is going on in our neck of the woods. 

I asked Cyclist why he was going into Perth. He said he'd done half the trip, ~60 km?, and was going back to Perth to get his car. He is 75 years old and seemed quite proud of himself for doing the tour. He was going to drive to Kingston, meeting his wife there for the night. She kept on going. The clouds and storm we expected Sunday deterred him from taking a risk cycling back. He explained how healthy he was, having had a stent put in after a heart attack, which runs in his family. He was a hoot. His wife, he told me, will be doing a marathon in Spain in the fall!

A motorcycle passed the dump truck, and I sucked in my breath! Trucks passed cars. They just kept coming and coming. 

A plane roared overhead, that was fun! The monopod was tricky with the zoom lens! I liked the photo facing up at the sun.

After I'd filled my boots with photos, we headed along Perth Rd., as we wanted to visit Beckwith Heritage Days. More on that another day. On the way, there were more cyclists.
We headed to Rideau Ferry for lunch on the patio. There were OPP watching at Lombardy, hopefully calling attention to riders what with impatient drivers.

At 11:41, there were still cyclists on CR 1. 

15 comments:

Tom said...

...I see a lot of bikes out these days!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
A lovely event, and what fun to have it pass one's driveway! Enjoyed the videos and your photos are very good. YAM xx

RedPat said...

Impressive people.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm happy to see events like this so well-supported :)

Anvilcloud said...

This triggers a very fuzzy memory of encountering that tour.

Gaelyn said...

How fun. I'll bet the riding organizers would love your photos. Personally, I'd rather walk.

Christine said...

What a fun event!

DrumMajor said...

I do believe that you ARE their official photographer! Could probably sell some prints to that cycle group. Linda in Kansas

Nancy J said...

What a grand event, and right past your gate, perfect spot, for the " Official Photographer" !!

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. Beautifully documented. Thank you.

DeniseinVA said...

What fun! When we were first married we bought bicycles and rode all over the bike trails around our part of Virginia and Washington DC. Our weekends were full and we were fit. Nowadays, the thought of those days bring back good memories. However, when Gregg suggested we should buy ourselves a couple of bicycles I groaned. My joints are way past those days now. Electric then he said? No thank you! With me sometimes falling out of my shoes, I can just see me landing in a ditch somewhere. But thanks to your wonderful photos and videos, and this post, it brings back all these great memories that Gregg and I have just talked about. Thank you Jenn :) And many happy trails to all those bicyclists out there.

Jeanie said...

Rick absolutely adores cycling in Ontario. I don't know if he knows about this ride -- he usually goes alone and camps out. This reminds me of our 400-mile Lansing to Mackinac ride he does every year. I'll have to tell him about this!

Red said...

Sounds like great event. It's good when every age and condition can participate.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks to me that you're an enthusiastic race photographer, if not the official one!

William Kendall said...

Quite a remarkable ride.