Friday 17 June 2022

Birds, bird bath, sunrise!

 The front yard has been busy. Joseph Brian called me to the front window. They'd had their morning constitutional and were ready to come in. They only needed a touch of coaxing!



Later on a rose-breasted grosbeak was peering in the window, tapping on the it or its reflection. That got my attention.


The backyard was pretty, for a Thursday morning sunrise. I took the first photo, then decided to hang around.

These clouds moved in front of the dark cloud. 

Thursday began with a tornado watch. Caitlin had rain, wind and thunder boomers before we did. She texted me a 'be careful' message. Toronto peeps reported hail the size of ping pong balls!

We didn't take chances. JB went to the store for batteries, we found this out last time our power was out for 23 hours! He wrestled Subway sandwiches for us. We filled several water containers. There were power outages. The lightning map showed a lot of action south of us. Another part of the storm moved across Montreal, with much flooding damage and a tornado.


Happily all was well here. Cinnamon slipped out the door as we heard thunder, and the rains fell. He was determined. FREEDOM! Eventually we got him back in. He was busy watching the House Wrens! A new family is setting up in the green bird house. I think!



The backyard has been busy. I heard the Cardinal family! I have an archive photo of him and her. 

I love the way young birds call for food. They are really loud. 

 

cardinals from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


You can hear the tree frogs calling. At 29 seconds, the bat flies by.

frogs butch bat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


15 comments:

Tom said...

...it was hot here yesterday with damaging winds to our south. Take care.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you all were a) prepared for weather and b) seemed to have missed the mark this time! Grosbeak is pretty, as are cardinals!

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

You have a bountiful back yard! Here in rural Connecticut the powerlines are very susceptible to being damaged in windstorms by the very high trees. Thanks for visiting my blog!

William Kendall said...

We had some rain off and on with threatening skies, but that is all that came of it.

Phil Slade said...

A Rose-breasted Grosbeak tapping on my window would be awesome. I'll have to make do with the sound of rain drops. Enjoy your weekend.

Christine said...

Love this time of year except for storms

Divers and Sundry said...

Yikes! I'm sure the birds were happy when the cats went in.

We had a rose-breasted grosbeak on the patio once. We were excited! We even got photos. It never came back, though. You're fortunate in having the wrens and cardinals choose you :) We get them regularly but not nesting. I'm glad the storms didn't get you!

We're not getting any rain, but the heat is unusually high.

Karen said...

I've never seen as many grosbeaks as we have around this year!

RedPat said...

Those cats keep you busy.
We had no rain here in the west end of the city.

Elephant's Child said...

Love the life and the colour in your yard. I am very glad you didn't lose power this time.

Nancy J said...

I am so thankful your power stayed on, we rely on it for everything these days. Love the tree frogs, very musical.

Rain said...

You have some beautiful birds in your area Jenn! Oh, scary having a tornado watch. I was in a tornado watch when I visited the Maritimes back in the early 2000's and the hail was frightening!

eileeninmd said...

Cute kitty in the bird bath. I love the Grosbeak!
Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Vagabonde said...

Your sunrise photos are lovely and the clouds are impressive. You also have a lively backyard with pretty birds. In Nashville and also in Atlanta we have been getting many storms lately but mostly awful hot weather.

Anvilcloud said...

I am picturing JB wrestling with a sandwich. 😀 I know, I know.