Tuesday 21 June 2022

Summer Solstice!

It's exciting. The news is full of Summer Solstice events. It is National Indigenous People's Day in Canada. There are pow wows on, and ceremonies in Ottawa, but we expect rain here. I don't think we're up to a drive to Ottawa, either. 

We've been playing Wordle, my daughter and grandies. Sometimes I get stuck and throw it out to JB! We've a family Messages link and post our results, cheering one another on. We do Canuckle, as well, but it ends on Canada Day. All of us love Math, and we've added Nerdle to the mix. 

Monday morning, garbage out at 6. Cinnamon and I did Walkies after that. It was cold, 10 C., and still there were bugs – but not many. Of course, the hermit thrush I spotted was happy with the bug situation. Again, archive photo from another Cat Walkies. I realized I hadn't reinserted the SD Card back into the camera! I kicked myself and then laughed.


They seem to be in abundance, the bugs, I wonder why. The trees are producing a lot of pollen, after the stress of the Spongy Moth infestation last year, but I've not idea why the bugs are bad. It's late for blackflies, but I'm still getting some awful bites. They are teeny, and you don't feel them land. I smucked one on my arm with great glee as I refilled the water fountain. They are teeny little bugs with a merciless bite that hives up on me later and is terribly itchy. 


Poor JB walked into the room and stated, "Houston, we have a problem!" Uh oh, one thinks. Now what? He thought there was cat poop in the office. It was just throw up, and the lower half of a deermouse. Whew! He's reading his book on cat behaviour, called Purr, and it has been interesting. 

The Yucca plant is throwing up a stalk. It is getting tall. The other stalk on another plant had its top lopped off with the eavestrough installation. Some blooms were saved. 


The orchid cactus likes the front porch. It gets afternoon sunshine.

My planter at the side of the house. Out front, white petunia. I don't know why I bought white. I like the purples! There is a Sweet Potato vine in the middle, plus the highlight, the pink plant. I cannot remember what it is! Peeking out from the far side is the Lantana.

Now, if I were as skilled as AC, I'd be able to use Photoshop to merge these two photos of my Lantana in the planter. In the first photo the fight side is in focus, the second has the left in focus. Still, eye candy!

Out back, our lone doe wandered by again. I was sitting reading, and I noticed her from the back deck.

doe daytime June 14 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


14 comments:

Tom said...

...it's hard to believe that now the days will start to get shorter!

William Kendall said...

Light rain in the capital this morning. My aunt would say the first day of a season defines how the rest of it will go.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You got a lot going on!! Love the deer video.

Nancy J said...

Wordle, that is such fun, I looked at the maths one, and left it, and as for Canada, not quite enough knowledge to give that one a go either. Your weather is looking very summery, here we are cold, this early Wednesday morning.

Kathy G said...

A Native American historical site across the river in Illinois commemorated the Solstice last weekend, but the website said "no ceremonies will take place". I'm not sure what that means.

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Summer Solstice! We've had a practice of observing this event ever since our first-born was little. Exciting! I love knowing other people are involved in their own celebrations at the same time :)

RedPat said...

It is too bad that the bugs are so bad. Finally it is nice out but you have to watching for bites.

Elephant's Child said...

How I wish we had an National Indigenous Day.
It is just after the winter solstice here - and our maximum will hover around ten.
We refer to all cat digestive upsets here as UDOs (Unidentified Disgusting Objects).

Cloudia said...

I so enjoy our visits. Thank you, Jenn

Christine said...

Lovely longest day of the year, if hot.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mandavilla is your upright pink plant! The Lantana is a beauty those colors are just perfect! Stay cool. I hate those tiny biting flies:(

Jeanie said...

I love wordle!

We got to the lake yesterday and so far I've seen several bugs that I'm not liking! And haven't even been on a walk yet, though that's soon. Tis the season!

Anvilcloud said...

Cameras do have their limitations, eh?

Angie said...

Jenn - when we visited family in Utah, they introduced me to Wordle, and it was fun. But I don't need one more To Do, so I have resisted adding it to my phone!!! Lantana is such a great attractant for butterflies!