Sunday 20 October 2019

Another frosty morn!

I love it! The change is welcome as the light levels are so pretty, shining through the leaves.
The maples are a lovely yellow. The poor catalpa tree's leaves just go limp  and fall heavily to the ground. It makes it easier to see the blue jays on the tree!


The other catalpa tree is doing fine.


Look at the frost on the table. I didn't touch it. The frosty dew stops part way across the table. I would presume that the warmth from the house prevent it all from frosting over.


The back yard still has colour.


Then, in the front, the maple on the driveway. I don't remember them looking this lovely. This is our 9th fall here.


I toddled down the hill to the meadow. The leaves are a carpet of glorious colour. The smells are so lovely. The noise of the leaves as you swish your way through them.


Now, here is some fun. I have a set morning routine. Blog, exercise, then amble down to the trailcameras. This is the tree, facing the meadow, where the camera has sat for two months of more. I'd forgotten that I'd moved it as I wasn't getting anything other than butch raccoon! Me bad. ("Don't tell the kids!")


Down beside the dock, a little dragonfly!


The frog pond has some water in the bottom from our massive rainstorm. We had about 50 mm (~2") over two days. This will protect the critters over the winter. It'll keep them as they hibernate, estivate or brumate, or whatever!


Aren't the maple leaves pretty??!!


A little bitty oak tree!


Then, the lovely alley through the old cedars. I love this spot. I've cut out the dead branches, the leaves die if they don't get any light, and cleared a path.


My 'Christmas tree' is looking good. It's comforting to have outdoor lights.


I could see Annabelle interested in something. I think it was a water snake, you can see it snapped at me. The only other thing it could be is a rat snake. (They don't bite!) This one was aggressive and I think it was a water snake. Annie didn't know what to make of it.


Both cats were out front in the sun, so we moved them indoors to let snakey do its thing.


I moved it into the sunshine with a big stick, so it would warm up. I'm thinking it is look for its hibernacula. They spend the winter underground in holes, nooks and crannies.
A hibernacula is a place in which a creature seeks refuge, such as a bear using a cave to overwinter. The word can be used to describe a variety of shelters used by many kinds of animals, including insects, toads, lizards, snakes, bats, rodents, and primates of various species.


We checked up on it a couple of hours later, and it was gone. All was well with our little world.

12 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Jenn :) I love my morning routine, good for you for getting one together! Your walk is gorgeous!

RedPat said...

Such beautiful colorful views! Our color hasn't reached that level yet!

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome 'foliage' shots ~ gorgeous colors and love your kitty shots ~ good luck to the snake ^_^

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gill - That British Woman said...

Well you are a lot braver than I, I would have been running for the hills!!!

In answer to your comment, yes sewing was a hobby but I was "encouraged" by my daughter and mother to turn it into a small business. It's done okay so far, but we'll see how it goes after Christmas when people will probably not be wanting to spend any money!! I am still not too sure where I want to go with this...........

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Wonderful colour, as ever - and well done on moving Snakey along! YAM xx

William Kendall said...

Lovely fall colours!

Nancy J said...

I walked with you through the trees, gave the snake a VERY wide berth, chatted to Annabelle, and loved the leaves. A beautiful frosty start, what a glorious day. XXX.

Christine said...

gorgeous time of year!

Red said...

All is well with your fall colors.

Karen said...

We went to a local conservation area for a good long hike today. It sure brought back memories of my childhood on a maple lined street in Peterborough, rustling through the leaves. (about 4km today!!)

Anvilcloud said...

Your place looks great in autumn. I haven't yet found much frost of leaves. I am not sure if this is good or bad. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful colour, I love the Autumn :)

All the best Jan