Thursday 24 October 2019

Oct. 21 back 40 snake

I walked into the back forty as I'd heard the blue jays harassing something. I was hoping to see our owl. Instead, a little garter snake trying to get warm in the sun. The moss is such a brilliant green. 


This is a close-up, from an archive photo. I did not disturb the sleeping snake.


The wetland has filled a bit with some of our October rains. We are happy to have had 92 mm rain so far this month.


I am making progress with my 4 cu. yds. of dirt.


I have to empty the water barrel, but it has put more water into the goldfish pond. The pond has had 5 frogs. Just two were out and about. It's been cool!


Hooper likes nothing better than to sit in his little house, day or night. It is on a timer and heats up overnight. Just 20W., enough to stop him from freezing.
He was sleeping, four paws sticking out the door, and Annabelle walked over and rudely awakened him!

13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Gotta love Hooper's attachment to his house.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The snake and frog are cute. Hooper's home must be very comfy. Wishing you a happy day!

RedPat said...

The snake is really stretched out there!

Olga said...

My dad used to call his back yard the "back forty." It was more like a half acre, but he did enjoy it.

Nancy J said...

Hooper is truly looked after so well, not spoilt, but loved. And Annabelle, why not she says!!! Leaves galore, soon they will all be a carpet on the ground.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It is looking very autumnal there as it is here. I do like to see frogs in the garden but I've not seen any in mine for quite a while.

Rain said...

I know that garter snakes are not dangerous, but when I see one, I leap in fear lol...can't bring myself to touch one!

Christine said...

I couldn't hold a snake like that!

carol l mckenna said...

Cute frog and snake ~ nature shots all great!

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

William Kendall said...

Cats will be cats.

Red said...

I see a garter snake once every 5 years or so. We don't have many frogs either.

Kay said...

We don't have any snakes in Hawaii. HOWEVER, someone must have brought a python in illegally because it was in the news that someone ran over one on the road. And it survived!

Powell River Books said...

I haven't seen a garter snake since summer. They must have already gone to their rocky winter homes. - Margy